Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Name In Computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mike4bears

mike4bears

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:16 PM

hi I'm new to computers and i have problem. on my desktop when i open my network icon there is a name there. first it says owner pc then joshua_gene_gra. my last name starts gra. i right click on the name i get a window with a place to open it when i do i get. windows cannot access \\joshua_gene_gra and diagnostics says it is not a valid host name and make sure computer is turned on and connected to network or contact network administrator. what is going on. i had trend anti virus installed and it quarantine one thing. file name jar_cache54822 c:\user\owner\appdata. are these connected i thank you mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:31 AM

If you were not having any problems before installing Trend Micro, remove the file from quarantine. Do not delete it. Then run an online scan with Bit Defender. Let us know what if anything it finds.
Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mike4bears

mike4bears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:48 PM

like to try this. but how do you remove it from quarantine. there is a restore tab but it does not work. and it is not highlighted like the rest. ever so grateful mike. PS. I'm new to these things so it is kinda spooky

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,514 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

Sort of a Catch 22---I suspect the account you were on when installing Trend Micro is the one you can't access because of the file that is quarantine. I don't have an answer if that is the case. Hopefully someone else viewing this will. In the meantime you might want to post this problem in Trend Micro's forum.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 mike4bears

mike4bears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:06 PM

just want to say thanks for your time buddy215. i will go to trend and post. will keep you infrom.mike :thumbsup:

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,514 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

You are welcome. Please do let us know what Trend Micro says.

#7 mike4bears

mike4bears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

well i spoke to trend. what i got was the strange name was not connected to the file in quarantine. best they they could do was tell me to call my service provider and see what they say. that would be clear wire. well i am going to figurer this out. :thumbsup: will keep you posted. thanks again. mike

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,514 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Did Trend Micro offer any suggestions on how to remove the file from quarantine? Are you able to install programs with the account you are using? If so, try the programs below.

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To start Windows in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

#9 mike4bears

mike4bears
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

thanks buddy. that sure sounds like a lot. might take awhile to do. I'm new to this and it is spooky.i might call a partner to help. right now im waiting on clearwire to get back to me. this will get fixed :thumbsup: mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users