Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spittle8

spittle8

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:40 PM

Howdy. Recently, my Mother was uninstalling Norton Anti-virus on our computer, and upon restarting the computer, it said something about being unable to start windows due to missing a file or some such. This would suggest that the uninstallation of Norton removed some important Windows file, I imagine. We've had numerous anti-virus programs (all but Norton free) over the last couple years, if that matters.

While HP Recovery was going, there was some issue of a file being missing, if I remember correctly, an i386 cab. Retry did not work, so I clicked ignore, and eventually, everything had finished and the computer had restarted. However, things were wrong. While the hard drive shows the same amount of crap on it - only ~1 gig free, the My Music folder and My Picture folder are devoid of our stuff. Some programs are missing, and many programs don't run, and it seems that everything that is left doesn't uninstall. Everything else about the computer basically went back to factory defaults. I had to reinstall I.E. 7, and Windows installer, and all the system settings were reset.

Is there any way to get my files back? The hard drive says it's still full as it was before, yet I can't access anything. What could be the matter? A virus? An issue with uninstalling Norton? Are my files lost forever? If so, I've lost some very important information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:20 AM

Try searching for MP3 and JPG files with Windows built in search tool (Start->Search)

When reinstalling Windows, the Special "My ..." folders are not neccessarily reassociated with a user account.

I would wager that all your stuff is still there in a folder along the lines of C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Music

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 31 May 2007 - 12:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users