Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply To Mobo Connection

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 purple frog

purple frog

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

i recently was given an old computer that needed a new power supply because the previous owner had taken it out, as well as needing a new hdd because the previous one had failed. the supply was removed after the hdd failing, for use on another computer. my problem is that the power supply i am trying to u on this new computer was from a Dell dimension 8000 series, and has a 20 pin plus a 4 pin connector. the fans would turn on for about 5 seconds then shut off, and the computer's power button would not respond for about 15 minutes following this little burst. i assumed it was because this four pin that used to plug into the mobo that was now unused bc the new mobo (i believe its an abit k7s5A pro) did not have the four pin receiver on the mobo.

i already tried to unplug everything except for teh mobo and video card to see if the ps just was not powerful enough, but i still got the same 5 seconds followed by the off time. any suggestions on how to fix this or should i just buy a new power supply?

specs for new computer:

AMD athlon (circa 1999, i believe its 1.8 gHz) with a thermal take volcano 5 heatsink ( w/ a fan mounted on top of fins)
abit k7s5a pro Ver. 2 Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800 video card (again, this is just based on product number on the card itself, not sure of exact model)
power supply is 250 watts.
cooling is currently 3 80mm fans

also, as a side note would i be able to pull a hdd from a current computer and use it in the new one? it is the only one in the other computer and has an OS (windows XP sp2) on it currently. i also have an hdd i have been using for storage, that does not have an OS on it, only some stored items such as my music.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

abit doesn't make a k7S5A if thats the correct model number it's a ECS (Elite Computer Systems). And Which 4 pin plug are you referring to.. There is the 20+4 main harness and a seperate 4 pin CPU connector (AKA ATX-12 connector). I Need to know exactly what motherboard it is so I can look it up and let you know what power connections are required.

As for reusing an old hard drive in the new computer. It will work but you will need to load all the new system drivers for the new computer to the old hard drive, and you will need to uninstall the old video drivers and install new ones if your using a different video card or the new onboard video. Also if you only have 1 Windows Xp license you can only use it on one computer at a time ( the other one can't be used at all ) and if its an OEM a drive that came with a Dell or HP etc.. It can't legally be transferd to a new computer. You will have problems with Genuine Advantage and windows updates.

The powersupply may be to small for the system with 3 fans running if its a stock dell PSU, but since it won't power up with everything unplugged somethings either not connected right or the powersupply isnt compatible. I am not sure if Dell ever used proprietary power supplies.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

sorry, you are right it is the ECS, Im not sure where i got the abit from; im not sure which type of connection it has, but the four pin is seperated from the rest of the wires and is pinned to the bottom of the ps. and the main harness only has the 20 pin. one of my friends said that teh issue may be because the ps looks for the little amount of electricity that it puts in to make it to the four pin plug, and that it shuts off when that charge is not found. could that be the issue?

as for the hdd, i have a western digital 160 gb that i put into an external hdd case, would i be able to install an os onto that one without having to reformat the entire thing? only about 60 gigs of memory have been used so far.

#4 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

an update; i recently purchased a Xion brand 450 watt psu and used a 24 pin to 20 pin adapter. i plugged it in and when i turned it on it stayed on about 5 seconds then i have to reset the psu to get it to do this again. is it possible that there is a short present on the motherboard?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:54 PM

If everything is connected properly, that may be a possibility

Edit: You shouldn't have needed the 24-20 adapter the plug will only plug in one way and the extra 4 pins simply hang over.+

Edit 2: Does the computer P.O.S.T then turn off or does it not even get past post?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 June 2007 - 05:59 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

I would take everything out and lay it on a non-conductive table or countertop and then see if it posts. You wanna check if the mobo is shorting out somewhere.

Posted Image

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:31 PM

sorry, you are right it is the ECS, Im not sure where i got the abit from; im not sure which type of connection it has, but the four pin is seperated from the rest of the wires and is pinned to the bottom of the ps. and the main harness only has the 20 pin. one of my friends said that teh issue may be because the ps looks for the little amount of electricity that it puts in to make it to the four pin plug, and that it shuts off when that charge is not found. could that be the issue?

as for the hdd, i have a western digital 160 gb that i put into an external hdd case, would i be able to install an os onto that one without having to reformat the entire thing? only about 60 gigs of memory have been used so far.

In order to install the OS you will need to format and partition the hdd first, the CD that has the OS will do this for you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 purple frog

purple frog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

ok, i set everything out on a wooden table to turn it on. i did not have my video card or PCI sound card on the mobo. only the mobo, the ram and an extra HDD i have lying around were attached to the mobo (and the cpu of course). the HDD gets a check disk error, but i was told it would work just to see if it is booting. as for the POSTing, i dont think it even gets to that point bc i have not heard any of the beeps or tones. when i turn it on, it went on for about 5 or 6 seconds now, and then shuts off. i called my uncle to ask about this and he told me that the mobo and tower were stored outside in an unfinished garage without its side panel on for a short bit. (this garage has no roof). i am speculating that the mobo got fried from teh residual charge left in it combined with any moisture that got on it.

p.s. im using an AMD athlon chip

p.p.s. im now looking on ebay for any socket A mobos. so far they are about where i thought they would be in price (ranging from $15 to $70), but i just dont trust buying a used mobo from there. anyone reading have one they would be willing to part with at least somewhat cheap?

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

I'd trust any motherboard from Ebay as much as I trust anything from ECS
My 2 cents
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

Here's a new one link. And some at Newegg.com

Chad Mockensturm