Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Setup Please help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drumstik

Drumstik

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:50 PM

I have a new computer with a 120g hd and slave hd of 20g. I also have 1g of memory. What is the best way to setup partitions on my computer.

A friend of mine suggested the following:

20g for operating system

5g for swap file

Remainder for ms office and other files and applications

20g slave drive to be used for backup.

All I am interested in is something that is easy to use and maintain. I do nothing fancy on this computer as far as playing games or anything like that.

Also which is better to use for emails, outlook or outlook express

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 skaines

skaines

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:43 AM

i try and keep system data seperate from other non system data such as programs.I would either put the OS on the 20 gig HDD, or partition the 20 gig to two 10 gig partitions and put the OS on 1 of the 10 gig partions and use the other 10 gig partition for programs and the 120 gig for personal data.

you could if your data was important make a 10 gig partion out of the 120 gig and mirror it using a software raid 1 array.

The above is what i would do

Outlook express is a cut down version of outlook and only includes the email part of outlook, outlook contains stuff like calander and tasks.

#3 Futs

Futs

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:43 AM

My opinion would be to partition the 120gig into 20 and 100 gig respectively.
since the 120gig is faster then the 20gig I would use the 20 for backup purposes only, the 20 gig partition created from the 120 should be more then enough for basic OS, software and applications.
The remaining 100gig I would use for games and any additional software required.
Posted Image

#4 Drumstik

Drumstik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for your input I meant to get back to you sooner but have been busy. Since I am not an expert on setting up partitions, is ok to just leave the 120g as one partition, Purchase ghost and put a ghost image on cd's?

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:21 PM

Setting up partitions is very easy if you use the utility provided by the hard drive manufacturer. If you got a CD with the HDD it will be on there. If not, go to their website. The advantage of having a seperate partition for the operating system and program files is that when you need to reinstall the operating system all your other data is elsewhere and left untouched.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:33 PM

Partitions are useful if you ever want to defrag just a portion at a time, and are good for security reasons as well. Having one partition for your OS, one for programs and applications, and one or two for data storage is always usefull, from my experience.

Outlook is perhaps more usefull if you are using your computer for business; Outlook Express is only an Email Client, but is easier to use. Quite frankly, I don't use either, and am quite happy the functionality and better security provided by the Mozilla suite.

Regards and enjoy your new computer.
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 January 2005 - 02:33 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:58 PM

Setting up partitions is very easy if you use the utility provided by the hard drive manufacturer. If you got a CD with the HDD it will be on there. If not, go to their website. The advantage of having a seperate partition for the operating system and program files is that when you need to reinstall the operating system all your other data is elsewhere and left untouched.

Isn't it so that when you have to reinstall the operating system or just repair Windows that you need to reinstall programs anyway even if they are on different partitition?
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users