Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems With Netzero

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 foresthello

foresthello

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:55 PM

whenever i try to open up netzero on my dialup computer it will say anothher program is using this file or it just wont open i was thinking it might be a virus or and i run a avast and norton scan i dont find anything what should i do

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

Your problem may not be malware related but try doing your scan in "SAFE MODE".

i run a avast and norton scan...

Are you using two anti-virus programs?

The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise when both are running in real-time mode simultaneously. Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Each anti-virus will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". If one finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each anti-virus will attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it. If one finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found when that is not the case. To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

Symantec strongly recommends that you run only one antivirus program at a time. See here.

Edited by quietman7, 30 May 2007 - 01:11 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:03 PM

Have you tried completely uninstalling and then re-installing the software?
Check the version you have and then go to Netzero's site and make sure you have the latest version.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users