Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering Data From One Hard Drive To Another

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

I have a failing hard drive that is 40 gig and need to transfer the OS and all data to my other hard drive that is 250 gig, I have a few things saved on the 250 gig but can back this up on cds. I would like to know how to go about this process without screwing anything up. I know about changeing the jumpers around on the hard drives themselves, but im not sure how to reformat the drive into the required partitions and actually getting the data over to it.

Edited by Nooodle, 30 May 2007 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:41 PM

The quickest way would be to create an image of the failing drive using Symantec Ghost or Acronis. Then after backing up your data from the 250 gig drive, install the drive as the master and copy the image you created to the new drive provided you have somewhere to store the image you create other than the new drive. This will overwrite the new drive with the proper formatting and you will have the OS working as it did before only on a bigger drive.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

is there a free way perhaps?
Posted Image

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:32 PM

You may be able to download a free trial of Acronis. Try looking it up on Google, if I remember right Acronis will image your computer without having to reboot since it was designed for servers. You will have to reboot the machine to restore the image though.

#5 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:08 AM

ok, other than haveing to use 900 CD's to copy the image this program will create, I'm thinking just reinstalling winXP on the 250 and trashing the 40. got a bunch of "crap" on there I dont need anyway, my next question is how do I reformat the 250 to make it blank and use the restore disks to put winxp back on it? I know theres a way to boot the system to bring you to a screen that will let you choose to boot from a CD drive but I cant remember how, I think F8 but not sure.

Edited by Nooodle, 01 June 2007 - 04:14 AM.

Posted Image

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

What type os system is it Dell, Gateway, HP or custom build?

#7 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

hp
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 07:17 AM

On an HP, press Esc as the system first boots - that'll take you to the boot menu.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users