Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Notebook To Buy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

Hi all

I am looking to buy a Notebook / Laptop / Tablet. What is the difference between them? Is Notebook an alternative name for a laptop?

So I need some advice on which make such as Siemens, HP etc. Looking at the "Answers that Work" site, it reccomends a Intel or AMD "Dual-Core" CPU. with 1Gb Ram, 80Gb (minimum) Hard drive, Integrated, Dual Layer DVD writer, 15" widescreen etc.

I mostly use the computer for general surfing, music, videos, etc. I have ADSL and Wireless.

My desktop info:

IE 7
Win XP Home
Computer: Intel
CPU: Intel Celeron D 326 CPU 2.53GHz
Motherboard: Intel Corporation D101GGC
Ram: 704MB (PC3200)
Storage: ST340014A 40GB 7200 RPM Ultra - ATA/100

Although the below states "No Info" as far as I can tell, it's Realtex High Definition Audo. Is this a good one or would you suggest something else??

Video Card: No Information
Soundcard: No Information

Thanks guys
:thumbsup:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

Hi all

I am looking to buy a Notebook / Laptop / Tablet. What is the difference between them? Is Notebook an alternative name for a laptop?

Yes - notebook and laptop are mostly used interchangeably.

A "tablet" PC is one that will have a touch screen and you'll be able to actually write (using a stylus) on the screen. Usually the screen with rotate and lay down so the PC looks like a "tablet" when you use it this way.

So I need some advice on which make such as Siemens, HP etc. Looking at the "Answers that Work" site, it reccomends a Intel or AMD "Dual-Core" CPU. with 1Gb Ram, 80Gb (minimum) Hard drive, Integrated, Dual Layer DVD writer, 15" widescreen etc.

The AMD dual cores and the Intell Core 2 Duos are the latest from each CPU vendor and will run cooler (lower temperature), a little faster and give a little better battery life than the older single core CPUs, again, generally speaking. Most new systems are coming with Windows Vista and I would recommend staying away from Vista Basic. !G RAM is a reasonable minimum, too. Beyond that, it dependes on what you want to do with it and what you can afford. Even screen size - generally 14", 15" and 17", in both regular and wide-screen models - is subjective according to what you plan for the PC.

I mostly use the computer for general surfing, music, videos, etc. I have ADSL and Wireless.

You'll get better video performance, again in general, by selecting a model that has a separate Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) and doesn't share (use some of that RAM leaving you less for the OS) main memory.

Edited by JohnWho, 30 May 2007 - 04:03 PM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:55 PM

Thanks JohnWho

Great info - very helpful.

Let's say hypothetically that cost is not pertinent, :
1] which make would you go for? I have heard that the Siemens Fujitsu is pretty good, but overall, HP ranks highest.

Ok, so now cost is a factor:
1] Ditto for 1] above.

To be a "Notebook or Tablet" - That is the question..??

Cheers
:thumbsup:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 12:24 AM

I just bought a Compaq Presario F551, Vista Basic, AMD 64bit dual core, 512MB RAM, but only 1.6GHz. I am amazed at how slow it is compared with my Pavilion desktop and have already ordered another 512 MB RAM.

Whatever you decide on, go for the fastest Motherboard, most RAM, and at least 15.1" screen. It really does pay to hunt around for the best deal as there is so much competition out there now that you can come up with a really good machine for a reasonable price. Here, we have a site called PRICE SPY which checks out all the electronic sites several times a day and the difference for the same item is incredible. Really worth the effort. The extra RAM I mentioned above, I found for about US$25, which I thought was pretty good.

Good hunting, it is a lot of fun making that choice.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users