Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Keeps Shutting Down Automatically

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OwenG

OwenG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:01 AM

Hi there,

My pc has shut down automatically 4 times today. Basically I find my computer still running with a screen saying that: Windows has detected a problem and that it has shut down to protect the system; the problem is probably caused by file s3gnbm.sys; there's a page fault in a non-paged area.......
It also states that this problem could be due to new software i've downloaded and that I should check whether I need new MS updates to make the software compatable.

As i have only just hooked up to a decent internet connection(230Kbps - i am in deepest darkest africa after all) I'm still only 50% of the way through downloading and installing my updates.

The action I've taken so far is to remove all recently downloaded software (SKYPE, COMODO FIREWALL(FREE VERSION), SPYBOT(FREE VERSION)) except for AVG FREE VERSION which I'm still running.

Since I've uninstalled these however my computer still crashed......................

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

OwenG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:12 AM

hi OwenG
welcome to b.c :thumbsup:

the file s3gnbm.sys is from S3 ProSavageDDR graphics controllers
if you try here
you can update your driver and see if that resolves your issue
gl
mz30
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 OwenG

OwenG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:15 PM

Howzit mz30?

Thanks for the reply. I installed the driver to no avail.

There is something on the screen that talks about disabling BIOS memory options - cahing,shadowing etc.

and right at the bottom it states: Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory complete.

Any advice on how to disable BIOS memory options??

Many thanks

OwenG

#4 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

hi again OwenG
am afraid BIOS memory options are a little out of my league i am sure someone else will be able to assist you further
sorry that i can be of no more help :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#5 OwenG

OwenG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

No worries - thanks

#6 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

No worries - thanks

your welcome i just wish i could help you more
good luck hope you get sorted soon :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:50 AM

Here's more info on the error messages: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x50

Since it's generally thought to be a memory error, there's several steps that you can take to try and isolate the error.

1) Test your RAM with this free tester ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ) Follow the directions carefully and run the test for at least 3 full passes (overnight is better). Let us know if you get errors - generally this means that the memory is bad, but there can be other causes.
2) Recreate your pagefile (virtual memory). Nothing will be lost, but it'll eliminate the pagefile as one of the possible errors sources. Directions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic71367.html#
3) Try another, known to be good, video card to test the video RAM.
4) Try installaing SiSoft Sandra Lite (free) and seeing if it reports any issues with your system that may give us more to go on. http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264

Edited by usasma, 01 June 2007 - 06:51 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users