Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Star Trek - New Worlds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

OK, don't laugh, but I'm trying to install my many years old copy of Star Trek - New Worlds on Win XP Home.

It worked fine a few years ago, I believe on 98 or Me, can't remember which.

Anyway, it seems to install fine, but when I try to run it I get a screen saying "Insert original CD in drive F - Press OK to continue" (or words to that effect).

The CD is in the drive, and it's the same drive I used to install the program - Drive F:.

I click "OK" and it keeps returning to this screen and never goes to the CD drive to load the program.

I've tried running this in all the compatability modes - 95, 98/Me, 2000, and NT.

One of the frustrating things about this game is that you can't "save" a level in progress, but I can't even get to that level of frustration since I can't get the game to play.

Any suggestions, other than try another game, will be appreciated. However, when I do try other games that requires the CD, they work fine.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Fremder

Fremder

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

Make sure you have the most recent patch.
You will not like me if I'm angry.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:39 PM

Sounds reasonable, except I haven't been able to find any patches for the game. Found lots of other people who seemed to be having the same problem, though.

:thumbsup:

#4 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:39 AM

I have had trouble getting older games to work on the NT OS as well. For Red Alert, for example, someone made a patch that changed one of the files, then most of the files in the game folder had to be converted by individually selecting WIN 95 mode after the game was installed, as opposed to simply installing the game with the compatibility mode set for WIN 95 and running it.

But hey, don't feel bad about playing older Trek games. I recently broke out Star Trek: Armada and have been playing the single-player campaign. :thumbsup:

By the way, isn't New Worlds the one where you build 3D bases and what not? It sounds familiar...
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:41 AM

By the way, isn't New Worlds the one where you build 3D bases and what not? It sounds familiar...

Yeah, that sounds like it. You can rotate your viewing position of the "world" 360 degrees and vary your viewing height as well. For the time, it was really cool, but now many games incorporate this.

The real drawback to the game was that you couldn't save "in game". If you were getting your butt kicked by the other side, you had to start the level over from the beginning.

It also has a few bugs in it that were never fixed, too.

There is a demo download that I haven't tried at File Planet - Star Trek: New Worlds

#6 eligam60

eligam60

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

the only way to solve this problem is to use an older video card ( like riva TNT 64 ). All newer cards will not work with this game. I remember using that card with STNW so I tried it on a seperate computer and it worked. Unfortunately not all games will fare well with this card but it lets me play my favorite game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users