Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! Cannot Function At All

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Happy01

Happy01

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

XP-SP2 HP laptop - about 4 years old. Pentium 4
Had been working fine. I had done a restart and when Windows rebooted all that shows is wallpaper. No desktop icons, no start bar. Cannot right click anything. Pointer is present. Can open task manager and see whats running. Can see files on the hard drive through a networked computer so it appears everything is there. Can go to Safe Mode but the only thing that shows in safe mode is "safe mode" in four corners with black screen and no startup bar. Tried to use XP disk which came with computer but not sure what functions to use on disk. Did recently install DSL. I am thinking something got removed from registry for startup?

On startup one message does appear. Something like "HPWireless Module encountered problem".

As you can imagine I'm paralyzed and would appreciate help.

thanks
Happy

Edited by Happy01, 30 May 2007 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

I was looking at task manager and noticed that explorer.exe was not present. Tried to enter it in task manager but would not take.
Any ideas please advise.
thanks
Happy

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Try running the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

Could not use the SFC.exe.

Don't have "Start" or the start bar.

any ideas?
thanks

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:26 AM

If you have your XP CD you can run the System File Checker from the recovery console.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:17 AM

I think you should be able to run SFC from the Task Manager. File > New Task (Run)
Posted Image

#7 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:48 AM

If you have your XP CD you can run the System File Checker from the recovery console.

I didn't see it as an option in the list. To be sure, I typed help and a list of commands come up, right? If so, I did not see SFC in list.

I think you should be able to run SFC from the Task Manager. File > New Task (Run)

I went thru task mngr, file, new task, then typed run, said could not find file.

ideas?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

I went thru task mngr, file, new task, then typed run, said could not find file.

Instead of typing run try typing sfc /scannow (don't forget the space between the "c" and the "/").

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

I ran 'sfc /scannow' and it eventually asked for the disk. It then ran for a good while according to the progress bar, then finished but nothing more. So I restarted and got the messages I got when I first began having problems, which are as follows:

One of the files containing the systems Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.

Is this a genuine message?

Also, immediately behind the message was an error message:

HP WirelessMgr Module has encountered a problem and needs to close.

It sounds like the sfc /scannow did something but not enough?

what to do?

thank you
H01

Edited by Happy01, 01 June 2007 - 04:42 PM.

#10 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

I'm still down. Any ideas please?

I think a part of the problem began after I installed some software by Bellsouth after installing DSL. The software may have a scan progam which conflicted with some existing malware/antispyware alredy existing on my system causing the registry to corrupt.

thank you

Edited by Happy01, 06 June 2007 - 09:52 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:54 AM

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Happy01

Happy01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

Thanks usasma for the info. I tried running my original XP boot disk before but since it has SP2 on the system it would not allow. If I can figure a way to get to add/remove (which I haven't been able to do as yet) I'll do as your lnk recommends and remove SP2 and try to boot a repair from the original disk. Wish I could open add/remove. :thumbsup:
happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users