Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Downloads

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loque

loque

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:31 AM

I've been having this problem for a while now, so I decided to format my hard drive and start with a fresh (and different) copy of XP, and I am still having the same problem.

When I download files off the internet, (Google Earth, Adobe Acrobat, large files such as demos and the like) they download to my desktop and then when I open them they are corrupted. Sometimes this happens with small files, which when I download again sometimes work fine, but larger files are almost always corrupted when I try to open them or install them.

The hard drive I am using is partitioned because it is too big to run as a single drive, and I am on wireless internet. I suspect one of these is the cause. I have tried the hard drive in two configurations, which is C is the large drive and "unallocated" dead-space as the rest, and I have tried creating a partition with the unallocated space, calling this E. I get the problem with both configurations.

Another symptom I'm getting is that when pictures load online they sometimes load halfway down before coming discoloured. I have to delete all the internet files and clear the cashe to get them to load up properly the second time. Sometimes they start to corrupt in different places, and sometimes they don't corrupt at all.

Does anyone know what the hell is wrong with my PC? Because I basically can't download anything off the internet. Much thanks, guys.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

Try running chkdsk to see if there are any drive errors.

Chkdsk

Edited by Budapest, 30 May 2007 - 07:36 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:00 AM

I would look to your internet connexion for the problems, and do some diagnostic tests. I remember that DSL Reports has some you can run.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

I would look to your internet connexion for the problems, and do some diagnostic tests. I remember that DSL Reports has some you can run.
Regards,
John

What exactly do you mean by this?

Thanks

#5 loque

loque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:50 AM

Try running chkdsk to see if there are any drive errors.

Chkdsk

Chkdsk returned no errors..

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:56 AM

In that case you need to check your internet connection as suggested by jgweed. Go to this site and run the tests they have. Some of the tests require you to register (which is free).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users