Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 satnam

satnam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

My PC - Compaq Pressario only has onboard graphics. If I add a sperate graphics card will it speed up my PC?
Is it easy to fit a card? just push into slot and load drivers?? I Guess?
thanks
satnam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:48 PM

You need to find out what type of open slots you have AGP or PCI. It won't make the computer faster per-se. You might get a clearer, crisper picture. and better frame-rates. You have to do a little more than plug and play. You disable the onboard, shut down, install card, make adjustments in the BIOS, then boot into safemode and install the drivers
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 30 May 2007 - 01:49 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

If you're looking for a performance gain (increase in overall speed of your computer), then you might consider getting more ram (if possible). RAM is a cheap upgrade that's easy to install, and will give you a noticeable increase in boot times, speed and overall performance. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:36 PM

I agree with stevealmighty. If the exact reason to add a graphics card is to speed up your computer you would be much better served maxing out your memory. If you are upgrading to play games then we need the make and model of your computer before we can make any recomendations. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

Though for a presario.s I believe they either have Xpress 200's or the nVidia counterparts. And they do use system memory, but not a total lot, unless your computer's a bit starved on RAM, such as only 256Mb. I also full agree with stevealmighty, as more RAM will help main system performance much more.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 satnam

satnam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hi all
thanks for the comments
I have already added memory - an additonal 1GB so I have 1GB+256MB of RAM
This PC can take up to 4GB RAM - the Processor is AMD Semporon 3400+ 1.8Mhz.
is it better to add more RAM or add a PCIe Graphics card

the pc is pessario SR1950N

any advice apppreciated

thanks guys and gals

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:10 PM

Upping it to 2GB ram won't hurt. I wouldn't bother going above 2gb of ram though...not enough "bang for the buck", then there's that whole XP and it not using more than 2GB of ram....

A low end PCI vid card would be a last upgrade IMHO. If anything, because you don't play games with it, so it won't really accelerate any 3d type stuff, so it'll really only be giving you a better, crisper display.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

I believe that this is a link to your system specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...153&lang=en

Adding a PCIe video card will speed the system up because it will:
1) Free the processor and RAM up from working all of the video signal
2) Will allow a dedicated video card to do it's work undisturbed.

That being said, I don't think that you'll notice that much of a difference unless you're playing high end games.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

You'll notice faster/better video performance. As for the PC, not all that much of a change. Integrated graphics are suited to home media centers, ABSOLUTELY NOT gaming. For gaming, external graphics would be an improvement.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users