Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adware removal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:41 PM

I don't know if I have an adware problem or not. Norton says that I have two "threats." But Spysweeper says I am clean.

Norton says that I have Ezula.dll and NDotNet adware. It cannot delete either. For the Ezula, it says to go to add/remove program files and delete "Toptext. But Toptext is not there! I can't find it when I do a system search.

Both files are supposed to be in C:\RECYCLER\S. If that is my recyle bin, I'm confused becuase the recycle bin is empty.

Do I ignore these threats? If not how can I find them?

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 01:43 PM

Have you checked the file, C:\RECYCLER\S etc.?, to see if that path leads to a file containing Norton's quarantined items? If that is not the case, then I would do a full HD scan in safe mode.
Please advise,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:22 PM

Norton says that the file that the adware is in is: C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1690495105882041792-4022-396851010\Dcexe\Dc exe\NNEZTA

I really don't know how to find a file by its path. My daugther typed this in Internet Explorer and it took it to my recycle bin. But again, the recylce bin is empty. A file search with many different combinations of the above letters always ends up with nothing found. I have perused My C Drive over and over and can find nothing with the above names in it.

#4 Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

One more thing: I realize this is a newbie question, but what is the proper way to search out a file through its path?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

C:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1690495105882041792-4022-396851010\Dcexe\Dc exe\NNEZTA

When you double click My Computer, you'll see C:, that's your harddrive. Double click it.

In there you'll look for the RECYCLER folder. Double click it.
In there you'll look for the S-1-5-21-1690495105882041792-4022-396851010 folder. Double click it.

Just continue like that to the the last entry.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:52 PM

I've looked and looked and I still can't find the recycler\s file????????????

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:04 PM

You may need to show your hidden files. Go here and you can find out how to do it.

What is your operating system? Please post back with that info.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Keith Thompson

Keith Thompson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:33 PM

Operating sytem + Windows XP

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

Seems to be a Norton thing. Right-click on your recycle bin - you can empty Norton Protected Files.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users