Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Omg ! Every File/program Has Changed To A ".lnk" File On My Py

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 shred1970

shred1970

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

The unimagineable has happened. EVERYTHING ( except for internet explorer ) has turned into a .lnk type file ! Just before it happed I just started to run an Adaware scan just after completing a spybot scan which picked up Avenue A.ink again. I then clicked on Adwatch pro and it informed me that the rigistry has been altered. I have no idea where to start ... even system restore is affected .... oh man this is bad ! PLEASE HELP !
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:18 AM

Try Kelly's Korner

EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP - #12 on the left

As this is a registry edit you should backup your registy first.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:03 AM

ok, i tried kelly corner. I download the lnk/reg fix onto my desktop as i cant get into anything at all on my pc. when I clicked on the new icon ( which looks like every other now apart from the name ) it just came up as a notepad file...I re downloaded it but instead i just clicked run but IE just said it couldnt show the webpage. I think I'm in real trouble !
" Those who wander from the way of understanding will surely rest in the assembly of the dead." - Author unknown.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

Open the registry editor by going Start>Run and typing regedit. Then import the .reg file into your registry from there.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:18 AM

Thanx Budapest, I have to say I'm a novice pc user. ..... How do I "import " the file from my desktop into there ?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:24 AM

Once you are in the registry editor you go File>Import and then select the .reg file. And then I think you will have to click Yes a couple of times to confirm the operation.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:22 AM

thanks for the fast replies Budapest ...... i chose run,regedit and regedit came up as a notepad file. Its actually my birthday today and i'm comming to find out this was my ant-birthday present..........................

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:57 AM

Try this. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:40 AM

ure a legend ! reg edit is open .... what do i do now ? i pressed file/import and chose the exefix file from the desktop, so its in there somewhere , by the way my family has gone home now so i'm good to go on your next advice

#10 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:08 AM

Hi again Budapest ..... I have to add that I have to disconnect from the internet because I';m totally unproted as all my programs are down .... It's like I'm naked out here ..... anyways I'lll check back in every 15 minutes or so .... again Budapest your last post was really helpfull..... there was no way i could have got to regedit without you . thanks again Budapest , ive got to disconnect again but will reconnect in about 20 mins or so ..... like i said my pc is so vulnerable right now, just being online feels like i will be invaded with all sorts of mals and viruses......

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:26 AM

Okay, after you imported the .reg file you now need to reboot your computer. Hopefully your desktop will be back to normal then. If not I'm not really sure where to go to next...do you have an XP CD?

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 07:43 AM

HI,
yes i do have my xp cd.... so is it looking like a reinstall ? ..... if so my pc is partitioned. I have never done a reinstall of windows so i guess i need some lessons... I'm a real novice when it comes to that..... thank god that my mate partitioned my pc for me so i don't loose my "good" stuff. if i have to do a reinstall i'll need everything you can tell me about it ..... thanks again for your help. i'll try your last suggestion and tell you how it went .................

#13 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:00 AM

Budapest... I have to say YOU ARE THE MAN/WOMAN (i cant tell from ure name) :thumbsup: everything is back ... there is only one problem now ...... I tried earlier to change the end file name of the system restore to try and get it working.....obviously that was a bad mistake .... can i correct that some how ? everything else is up and working though, again you are a legend !

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

I'm glad to hear you're back up and running.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by changing the end file name of the system restore to try and get it working. Can you explain in more detail.

This problem that you had can be caused by a virus infection. I would recommend that you post a HijackThis log in the HijackThis forum (not this one) and let the experts have a look to make sure you're clean. Those guys are very busy so it might take several days before they get to you so be patient.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 shred1970

shred1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:50 AM

ok Budapest i will do that... what i did was left click on system restore and tried to change the file ending to get it to work which was obviously a mistake. I really want that featre to be back up and running.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users