Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why do you use Internet Explorer?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Why do you use Internet Explorer (IE)? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you use Internet Explorer (IE)?

1. I use IE because I have tried a few other browsers extensively and still feel IE is the best in terms of safety and reliability. (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. I use IE because I have tried a few other browsers, briefly, and didn't feel comfortable switching. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I use IE because it is the only browser on my computer and I don't feel comfortable (or don't know how to go about) adding a new one. (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

4. I use IE because I didn't know I had a choice. (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

5. I don't use IE. (17 votes [73.91%])

Percentage of vote: 73.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Haroldo

Haroldo

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:06 PM

Internet Explorer (IE) has been much maligned in the press recently due to security concerns. In another poll conducted here, the results indicates that (as of January 18, 2005), approximately 18% felt that in terms of overall quality, security, and reliability felt that IE was the best.

I would like to ask viewers here why they choose to continue using IE.

Edited by Haroldo, 19 January 2005 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

With all due respect Sir Haroldo....

Why would anyone use IE at all when they have any better alternative available?

Pick a browser, any other browser... let us discuss those....

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Haroldo

Haroldo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:22 PM

...Why would anyone use IE at all when they have any better alternative available?...

I'm going to guess that many use IE because they aren't aware that they can switch.

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

I continue to use IE when I am on forums like this because I like the functionality it gives me. I use Firefox whenever I go out surfing the net, but always use IE at forums like this.

I like and am comfortable with the way the Google toolbar operates with IE, I like my IE spell, I like that I am able to access MSN messenger (not Windows messenger) from my toolbar (it did take a registry fix from Doug Knox to add this function), and I just like it better than the alternatives.

I am not knocking the alternatives, but frankly, it does get a little tiring to hear people continually knock IE. IE has many faults but now that Firefox is being used by more people, more vulnerabilities are being found in it and contrary to popular belief, they are not being fixed overnight. Right at this moment there are five unplugged holes in Firefox according to Secunia and some of them have been around for many months.

Do I recommend that people use an alternative, you bet I do, that will not stop me from using IE at the forums I frequent though.

Edited by Ronbo, 18 January 2005 - 08:17 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 Haroldo

Haroldo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:56 AM

I continue to use IE when I am on forums like this because I like the functionality it gives me...I like and am comfortable with the way the Google toolbar operates with IE,...

I actually prefer FF for fourms because of the BB Code extension that makes posting to forums easy and the tabbed feature that allows me to view all (or most) new posts easily.
I only use IE for Windows Update.

I like and am comfortable with the way the Google toolbar operates with IE,...

FF has a google toolbar exnension that is just like IE's

Edited by Haroldo, 19 January 2005 - 04:58 AM.

#6 House of Games

House of Games

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:34 PM

I do not........

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
Posted Image

#7 TeMerc

TeMerc

Countermeasures Team Leader

• Malware Response Team
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:58 AM

There seems to be an option missing from the pole:

I use IE because when properly secured, it works fine.
Thats why I continue to use it.

Have visited many known malware sitess, nothing ever happens, more times than not, blank page loads.

If it ain't broke.................... :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Calendar of Updates
Malware Advisor Blog
HijackThis! Trusted Advisor
Ultimate Countermeasures Page
TeMerc Internet Countermeasures
Remember, you can NEVER be OVERPROTECTED!!!
Proud Member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
Posted Image

#8 joe53

joe53

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:46 PM

I like Firefox as a default browser, but let's face it, so much of the internet
is configured to require IE. For such (trusted) sites, I find the IE View extension
of Firefox most useful. I've yet to regret using IE in this manner.

Internet surfing aside, I find I need to switch to IE to enable full function in some
of my desktop imaging apps.

Finally, it never hurts to have IE as a backup for those really bad days when my
Firefox fails me... (and Mozilla, Netscape, and Opera...) 8^)

#9 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

Firefox isn't as compatible as IE and there's no way to know if it ever will be. I have to use IE for certain websites, email accounts, and for online games. I have Firefox and with all due respect, I am still waiting to be as excited and thrilled and satisfied as other Firefox users. I'm waiting for further information regarding the issues I'm having but if the above problems pan out, I will wave goodbye to IE (except for updates).
My 2 cents.
And my option isn't in the Poll so I couldn't take part. But my answer is:
"I use Firefox the majority of the time until I have to go places Firefox can't access or doesn't support, or whatever the case may be."

#10 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:01 AM

I don't have any problems with IE.It runs and loads perfecly.
"If it ain't bust dont fix it "
I have tried Firefox on two or three occasions.It is good,make no mistake.
However there are still minor problems to be rectified as far as i am concerned.
They are;
1) It takes 20 seconds to load.I know there is a fix for this but it only makes a slight difference.
2) I dont like Animated Smilies.It probably can be fixed but it should turned off by default.
3)I only want the genuine Google Tool Bar. I have tried the other one but i dont like it.
Perhaps in a few months time i will revisit, that is assuming that Microsoft has not updated IE in the mean time,which in all probability it will have.
It really is a pity that for me it has these annoyances because the general setup is superb.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:21 AM

See TeMercs post above. (Or that could be below if you are posting a reply). :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:53 PM

I voted "I do not use IE". Which is not strictly true. I do use it for updates. I rely on my Firefox in the main. I am grateful to have it too. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#13 hpguru

hpguru

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:22 AM

I have been using IE almost exclusively since the preview of version 5.0 after becoming completely fed up with Netscape. I am aware there are alternatives and I have several of them installed and they get occasional use, but I stick with IE simply because I like it better than the others. In my experience it is very easy to secure and much faster than the alternatives when properly configured.

I will admit however that the alternative browsers such as Firefox and Opera are good choices for folks who aren't knowledgable enough to reliably secure IE but I take issue with peeps who encourage folks to switch from IE to brandX without first teaching them how to secure IE. IMHO that is damned irresponsible and unprofessional. Like it or not, IE is a part of your OS - indeed, many will tell you that IE is the operating system. If users just switch without first securing IE and installing all the recent patches they are just leaving open a gaping hole of lax permissions which do not require opening IE to take advantage of them.
Get hpHOSTS! Member ASAP

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:37 AM

If users just switch without first securing IE and installing all the recent patches they are just leaving open a gaping hole of lax permissions which do not require opening IE to take advantage of them.

Well said hpguru.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#15 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:54 AM

So how many alternaitives are there? I used nuttscrape a few years back...but got sicka loading time and its inability to have multiple windows open at once without throughing a fit. Right now I use IE...with a grumble as all my viruses ended up on my computer through it. How many others are there, any good, free, etc? -joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users