Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tristansdaz

tristansdaz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

Hi, new to the forum. As with probably all the other newbies, I found you because I have a problem. When booting up a tower system with Pentium III and 512K RAM, this machine will only go as far as the "Verifying DMI pool data" and does not go any further. Can anyone help???

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:35 PM

This could be a few different things: A corrupt or improperly set BIOS, corrupted boot disc files, loose plug in wires to your hdd, dead/corrupt hdd, or having something in a drive while booting (along with incorrect boot sequence), like a floppy or CD.

Have you made any changes in the BIOS recently? Have you installed/removed any hardware? Have you had your case open lately? Let us know and we'll go from here.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 tristansdaz

tristansdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

The beast has been apart for quite a while and I'm trying to get it back together for my 8 year old to play with. :thumbsup: So, I have only the HD and a CD player installed at this moment. Currently I have taken the CMOS battery out to determine if that is the problem. The HD is recognized as the primary master but the machine just won't go past the "gathering pool data" point. Thanks for the response. Larry.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:45 AM

If it's been torn apart for a while, I'd go back through and ensure that everything is connected tightly and in the proper place. I'd also verify that the HDD is set correctly (master) and is plugged in with the correct plug (should be the very end female connector assuming that there's another connector a few inches from the end for a secondary).

If that fails to help, then I'd try replacing the cmos battery. If that still doesn't work, then I'd venture a guess that it's either the mobo or the hdd.....I'd lean towards the hdd first. Should be able to pick one up fairly cheap. Same for the mobo. Biggest thing is depending on the age of the computer, you might not be able to find a mobo that'll support your processor. Also might be hard to fit parts if it's a Dell or HP, as their cases and parts are usually specific for those series models and won't work or take other parts. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

I had an old Biostar mobo that drove me nuts for a while, stuck at the DMI pool. The BIOS was so corrupt it wouldn't even boot to a floppy. I had to remove the chip and reflash
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 04 June 2007 - 08:26 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 tristansdaz

tristansdaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the help. When I put the CMOS battery back in, it went past the "DMI Pool Data" portion but does not read the HD, A drive or CD player. This thing is really jinxed! Perhaps a reflash of the chip would do it like garmanma has suggested. Any other ideas?

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:24 PM

Is there a hard drive that functions on SATA but has an IDE jumper? My Dimension 3000's drive is slowly dying and it runs on IDE, but I'd rather have SATA when the time comes to get a new PC.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:51 AM

Thanks for the help. When I put the CMOS battery back in, it went past the "DMI Pool Data" portion but does not read the HD, A drive or CD player. This thing is really jinxed! Perhaps a reflash of the chip would do it like garmanma has suggested. Any other ideas?

When you pull the cmos battery, then put it back in after a minute or so, that should reset the BIOS back to factory defaults. Is there another hdd that you can try to install?
Posted Image

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

You could possibly try to manually enter the hard drive in the BIOS instead of auto-detect
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users