Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Un-network My Computers? Xp&98 W/router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Because the old machine is Win98 and it caught a "notepad %" error from the XP, plus I cannot get them to talk, even though I've installed all the protocols (I really just wanted to access my 98 files) I just can't get it to work and don't want to spend the time. Is there an EZ way to disconnect the LAN settings?

Thank you :thumbsup: No rush
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:49 AM

There are a couple of ways the easiest way would be to unplug the network cable from the back of the machine. The other would be to disable the network card from device manager.
Posted Image

#3 joygreen

joygreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

Hi ProjectFocus,
I am looking for a way to undo the software controls that are networking my PCs:
1. each PC wants me to "login" although they always fail, either because the other PC is turned off, or
2. one of the PCs (XP) doesn't have a file to validate the 98 machine.

ALSO, my firewall on XP says the settings are controlled by group policy. SO under 'general", all the options are greyed out. One Care, however, says the firewall is turned on. I'm having a hard time believing it because my ISP is starting to get junk mail, although I do not use it for general website memberships.

The XP firewall (from MS One Care) keeps changing the setting under the second tab to enable file and printer sharing. I keep turning it off, but it goes back on. The third tab, I enable to use the wired router; both PCs get their internet access through the router.

I've deleted the Network neighborhood settings, but this dang network software settings will not go away.

Any ideas?
Thank you :thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users