Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get Internet Connection In Xp Professional

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 artabjr

artabjr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:16 PM

Have two laptops on a router and connections are fine. One laptop now (very new) won't allow internet access. I ran Mc Afee 8.0 with no viruses found. Can't get an update as I have no connection. Checked IP addresses with comcast and they are OK. Am getting the following error messages within McAfee before I bypass and run the virus scan:

- Local sch - encountered a problem
- Spooler Sub system App - encountered a problem

Also got an error message in an earlier startup in McAfee that referenced a ping problem (I did not write error message down)

Paralyzed here as I can't get past first base without being able to at least log on.

A BIG thanks to any and all who have some direction. Please be specific I'm a techno nubie.....

Much thanks again....

Art B.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum and added a topic descriptor. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 29 May 2007 - 09:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:55 AM

So lets start from the begining. How is the local network setup. Are you running the machines on Static IP addresses. If so Make sure they are different from one another. Can the 2 machines talk to each other. Are you able to talk to the router. Can you ping it from the not working laptop.

all these will check to see if the local network is working. Next have goto run and type cmd. Or open the Command Prompt. Type "ipconfig /all".
This will list data from the network adaptor. Check to see if you have the default Gateway address set to the IP of the router.

Post back with your findings and any information that you have found out.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users