Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I Need Any Of This Stuff?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Southstreet

Southstreet

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:16 PM

Greetings all, :thumbsup:

I have a some questions that I hope someone can help me with.

Firstly...I really need to free up some disk space on my machine and I've just spent a laborious few hours going through old files, music, images etc..and now I've been looking in Add/Remove Programs to see what I can get rid of there. I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of computers :trumpet: (or much about the rest of it to be really honest :flowers:)...but I've found all these that I wouldn't have a clue if I use or not??

Apple Software Update.................................................2.41MB used occasionally
(I use WindowsXP anyway)

Application Verifier 3.3..................................................19.56MB rarely

DivX Codec..................................................................55.37MB rarely

DivX Content Uploader..................................................45.52MB rarely

DivX Converter............................................................55.37MB rarely

DivX Player..................................................................55.37MB rarely

DivX Web Player...........................................................55.37MB rarely

(I already have WMP, Real Player and Quick Time)

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11.....................120.00MB rarely

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.......................119.00MB rarely

Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 ..............134.00MB rarely

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)

Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0.........................................88.45MB rarely

.........there's a lot of MB's there that if I'm not using then getting rid of them might improve my machines recent sluggish behavior.

Secondly...does anyone know how to put a Hotmail shortcut in the Firefox browser?

Thirdly...Why has my girlfriend suddenly turned cold??....Woops sorry, wrong forum!!! :inlove:

Thanx y'all

Southstreet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Higatron

Higatron

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

Apple Software Update.................................................2.41MB used occasionally
(I use WindowsXP anyway)

If you use Itunes or Quicktime, I think that this updates them, if you don't have them, delete it

Application Verifier 3.3..................................................19.56MB rarely

DivX Codec..................................................................55.37MB rarely

DivX Content Uploader..................................................45.52MB rarely

DivX Converter............................................................55.37MB rarely

DivX Player..................................................................55.37MB rarely

DivX Web Player...........................................................55.37MB rarely

(I already have WMP, Real Player and Quick Time)

All you really need to keep is the Codec if you use other video players

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11.....................120.00MB rarely

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.......................119.00MB rarely

Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 ..............134.00MB rarely

If you use Java programs then you need these, if not they can be deleted

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1

Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)

Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0.........................................88.45MB rarely

You need these

.........there's a lot of MB's there that if I'm not using then getting rid of them might improve my machines recent sluggish behavior.

Secondly...does anyone know how to put a Hotmail shortcut in the Firefox browser?

like how? like a bookmark or a toolbar? or something else entirely?

Thirdly...Why has my girlfriend suddenly turned cold??....Woops sorry, wrong forum!!! :thumbsup:

rofl

#3 Southstreet

Southstreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:12 PM

Hey Higatron, thanx for such a fast reply,

Ok so I can get rid of most of the DivX stuff...that's good to know, but now how do I know if I use Java programs?...I wouldn't know if I do or I don't.

And for the Hotmail shortcut question I meant like an msn toolbar , the same as you can have in IE.

thanx once again for your help.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11.....................120.00MB rarely <---- You can delete this one

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6.......................119.00MB rarely <---- Ditto this one

Java™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1 ..............134.00MB rarely <---- Keep this one, Java is important for how some web pages render

Secondly...does anyone know how to put a Hotmail shortcut in the Firefox browser?, Do you mean add a link on the 'Personal Tool Bar'? If so, You can add the link to your 'Personal Toolbar' by dragging the link to the personal toolbar line.

Thirdly...Why has my girlfriend suddenly turned cold??....Woops sorry, wrong forum!!! :inlove: Less time with the computer, more time with her?? :cool: :flowers: :trumpet: Hey you left the question to read... :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Southstreet

Southstreet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

Ok thanks....that should give me a little more disc space. :inlove:

What I mean in regard to the hotmail thing is this....In IE I have the address thingy ie; http://www.......etc. and under that I have a Google toolbar with a whole bunch of buttons that take me to News or weather or whatever, and under that I have an msn toolbar where I can open up messenger and hotmail and so on, and then likewise for Yahoo. Well I can put a Yahoo one on my Firefox browser, but I can't work out how to put an msn one on.

Thirdly...Why has my girlfriend suddenly turned cold??....Woops sorry, wrong forum!!! :cool: Less time with the computer, more time with her?? :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: Hey you left the question to read... :)

:P Yeah I know, it's cool isn't it? :) ....I'm getting familiar with BB codes... :)

No kidding....I reckon I have a better chance of figuring out advanced binary code than I do of figuring out her moods!:) :)

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:53 AM

If you delete all the DivX stuff you may find that videos/DVDs no longer play correctly. If this happens you can always reinstall it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users