Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Broadband/router Settings Help Required

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 corpusluteum

corpusluteum

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi there, I m hoping that some one could help me with a small issue i have with my Wireless Internet.
Basically everything seems to be functioning correctly apart from the fact that the internet connection seems to keep refreshing. E.g Whilst using any form of internet application, the little Monitor in the System Tray goes blanc and the internet connection is lost (But there seems to be full signal strength) after about 20-30 seconds the Monitor lights up again (green) and the connection returns. This is the same when surfing the web or playing online muliti-player games.
A friend mentioned that if i was to change the channel to 1, 3 or 11 this may fix it. Ive looked into the router setting but it doesnt seem to mention anything about a channel. The only thing i can think that the channel refers to is the final number on the IP address which is alloctaed to each computer. But this is a guess.

I am running 2 computers permanently from this connection and every few week 3 computers.

I hope that someone can spare some time to educate me on this frustrating little issue,

Pls dont hesistate if there is more information required from me to shed light.

Many Thanks for your time

Tom Moxon

*~Mod Edit - Moved to a more appropriate forum - rigel~*

Edited by rigel, 29 May 2007 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:28 PM

Does this happen with all three of the computers, or just one of them?

The only thing i can think that the channel refers to is the final number on the IP address which is alloctaed to each computer. But this is a guess.

The IP addy has nothing to do with what channel your router is broadcasting on. Channel 6 is the standard channel, but another channel may give you better reception, it depends. Whenever I have seen this situation I have solved it one of two ways - removed any malicious software that may be interfering with my internet connection, or (and this is the first thing to try) get online and go to the router manufacturer's website. Download the LATEST driver for your hardware. Uninstall the hardware, and then reinstall using the LATEST driver. This usually does the trick. Good luck.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users