Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Booting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MamaRamona

MamaRamona

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:27 PM

hi everyone,

today I am unable to turn my computer on at all. Windows will not boot. When I turn it on, it goes to a black screen with white writing which says the following...

"We apologize for your convenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

It gives me the option to start windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, or start windows manually.

No matter which I choose, windows will not boot. It merely restarts itself over and over, going back to this black screen with the above message. Briefly before it restarts, a blue screen sometimes flashes telling me that "a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

Throughout the past few days, the computer had been operating very slowly. Lat night when I put my computer on, I got a blue Windows XP box saying that one of my disks needed to be checked for consistency, then it proceeded to do so in three steps (verifying files, verifying indexes... including recovering lost files, and verifying security descriptors). This process took a few minutes.
After this happened, I posted a HJT log in the HJT Analysis Forum, and it seems that I have MyWebSearch on there, so they were advising me on how to get rid of that. However, today I can do nothing, as the computer fails to boot.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciate.

Edited to add... computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and I do not have a Windows Installation disk.

Edited by MamaRamona, 29 May 2007 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

The error you are getting usually is caused by a corrupt boot sector on your hard drive. The good news is that this can be repaired fairly easily, the bad news is that you need a Windows XP install disk in order to boot into the recovery console. Any Windows XP disk will do the trick as long as it is the same version as yours (Home or Pro). Do you know someone who may have a disk that you can use?
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 MamaRamona

MamaRamona
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

Thank you so much, Baloo. I should be able to get my hands on a disk somehow. Could you please let me know what steps to take when I insert the disk. Thanks in advance,

MR

#4 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:25 AM

Here is a link to help you with recovery console. Open the link and scroll down until you the "Start recovery console from a CD" section then follow the instructions. The commands you are most interested in are the fixboot command and the fixmbr command. You will run the commands separately starting with fixboot then fixmbr. You will be asked if you are sure you want to write a new boot sector(fixboot) and a new master boot record(fixmbr) you will want to answer yes to both of these.
After that is done type exit and your computer should reboot with no problems.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users