Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need some serious help here

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 claire1

claire1

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 05:12 PM

ok, i really need some help here with my comp. i am trying to fix it myself as i have no money to buy a new one or get this one repaired by a professional.

the problems i have with it are:
a)when i log onto IM, eg MSN messenger, it freezes for about 10 secs
b)freezes when i listen to music so it skips
c)web pages take a long time to load but i am on broadband
d)comp freezes when doing anything online eg IM, looking at sites etc for anything up to a minute
e)when i am trying to shut it down it gets stuck on the "windows is shutting down" screen
f)frequently when i press ctrl alt and delete it says that the program i am trying to start is not responding (and i also think that i have many programs running that need not be but i dont know which to stop or how!! :thumbsup: )

if anybody knows what may be wrong please help.
(i dont really know a lot about computers so really dumbed down plain english please if you reply!)

ta muchly! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:35 PM

Are you using these basic security programs?

aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, but, the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member will assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 claire1

claire1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 03:57 PM

thanks for that. but i am wondering if its ok to download anything else at the moment on this computer as im getting warnings that i have low resources and i dont think i have much RAM. i am with aol so i have the spywear protection and mcafee firewall that came with it. its already running very slow and if i am adding more programs, surely i am adding to the problem? please help!

#4 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:35 PM

i dont think i have much RAM.

Well there you go.. If you run lot of programs, it'll eat your RAM. You can see how many programs are running by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete..
What operating system are you running?
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

These programs will help get rid of the garbage, that is slowing down your computer.

Since your low on resources, start where it says, Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

This would be the, best place, to start.

Please, follow the directions.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:15 PM

e)when i am trying to shut it down it gets stuck on the "windows is shutting down" screen

Windows has a patch for that if you are using 98SE. Are you? Get it here.

Try this and we'll see about your start up programs. Reboot your computer and don't open anything. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and write down everything in the Close Program box and post the list here. Also what you have ie 95, 98, 98SE etc.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 claire1

claire1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

im pretty sure ive got windows 98 SE

in the close down box i have:
Explore
Realplay
Iexplore
Mpftray
Osa9
Dslstat
Aolsp scheduler
Dslagent
Qttask
Rundll32
Rebatenation0
Calshkgx

(Osa9 and Calshkgx have only appeared for the first time today so i dont know if thats good or bad.)
and i sometimes get about 3/4 Iexplore and Explore come up and usually get Rebatenation1 aswell

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:40 PM

Hi claire1

Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig. Look under the Startup tab and remove the checkmarks from the following:

Realplay - Real Player - not needed, will open when required.
Osa9 - Prepares Office to open, not needed, will open when required.
Qttask - Quick Time - not needed, will open when required.

Just by turning off those three you will notice a tremendous improvement.

Rebatenation0
Calshkgx

The last two are adware. They might not be in the Startups. Go here and follow the instructions.

but i am wondering if its ok to download anything else at the moment on this computer as im getting warnings that i have low resources and i dont think i have much RAM

You have no choice at this point. It won't be a problem in any event.

Right click My Computer and select Properties. Under the General tab it will tell you how much Ram you have and which version of Windows. Please post back with that info.

i sometimes get about 3/4 Iexplore

You will have one Iexplore for each Internet Explorer window open.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 claire1

claire1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:06 PM

You should only be creating a HijackThis log after you have ran Spybot - Search and Destory and Ad-Aware and you are still having problems.

i have not run spybot yet, should i install and run it?

i have windows 98 second edition and i have 128.0MB RAM

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:23 PM

Are you saying that you have run AdAware?

Yes, run them both. I would suggest you also get Webroot's Spy Sweeper. Look under the Try it column for the 30 Day free trial one. Run that one last. You may not need to post a log depending on what it finds.

When you run those make sure you close everything else. Also be sure to update all three before running.

#11 claire1

claire1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

I ran spybot and it found errors so I then fixed them and I am now running AdAware. It has found critical objects and it is deleting them, but it has stayed on the deleting objects window for over an hour. All the bars are full on the counter but I cannot select any other option. Does this mean that it has deleted them and completed the scan? If it has, what do I do next on AdAware?

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:20 PM

Adaware has found something that it can't turn off.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and highlight AdAware and end task. Reboot into safe mode and try again.

To get into safe mode repeatedly press F8 as the screen first comes on until you get to the screen to pick safe mode from a list.

Open AdAware and click on the thing that looks like a gear near the top. Click on Tweak. Click on Unload recognized processes during scan so you have a green check mark. Then run AdAware again.

Hang in there, your getting there.

#13 claire1

claire1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:41 PM

ok, I have run AdAware in safe mode and it was completed. I have also run Spy Sweeper, but my computer still freezes when i am online. What can I do to stop this? and do I need to get more RAM?

thank you so much to everyone who is helping me! :thumbsup:

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:48 PM

128MB of Ram is fine for 98SE. Another 64 or 128 wouldn't hurt but is not essential.

I think you had better post a HiJack This log in that forum now.

Do you have a firewall? Did you turn off those programs in msconfig?

How many items were found in AdAware and Spy Sweeper?

For some reason Install on demand is enabled by default in IE causing problems such as yours. To protect yourself against this situation do this:

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and take the check mark from Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) and Enable Install On Demand (Other). The consequence of this will be that you will begin to see Security Warnings when something tries to install on your computer. Unless it is something you want to install (which happens rarely) always say no.

#15 claire1

claire1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:57 PM

I do have a firewall, I am using McAfee Firewall plus (that was one that was free to download with aol so i dont know if it is any good)

Yes I did turn off those programs in msconfig

I cant remember exactly how many items were found but I think it was around 298 in AdAware and about 300 and something in Spy Sweeper

I have turned off Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) and Enable Install On Demand (Other)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users