Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prison Scare For Using Wi Fi Hot Spot Outside Cafe

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:28 AM

Be aware.

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9722006-7...?tag=st.ne.xtra

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:09 AM

He's lucky, anyway, he just used it for checking email so shouldn't get him into big trouble.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:44 AM

I went to my cousins church once and showed them some vids and their friends. I turned on the wireless modem just to check for a network. It was there and no password. So I played a couple of vids but this guy in the church looked at me so I didnt know if he knew I was on and didnt like it or what but I shut my laptop down and put it back in the car. I dont think people care as long as you dont come back over and over and do it.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

I think if people do not want their wireless connection "piggy-backed" they should secure it. I would not like it if I had wireless and found out the whole neighborhood was using it too.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

I wonder how many days passed between when the police asked him what he was doing and he told them, and when he was actually charged?

It would almost seem that if they allowed him to continue, it implied that it was acceptable.

Police give warnings all the time - based on the article I believe he should have only gotten a warning, also.

The Cafe should then have posted some sort of signs regarding this, too. If they advertised "free wireless Internet access" and did not specify the terms, then what he was doing would seem to be within their guidelines, and as a goodwill gesture, and a positive publicity situation, they should not have pressed charges as they confirmed their policy. Heck, the Cafe owner didn't even know of the law.

It was not a good judgement, in my judgement.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

This simply shows the absurdity of the system we have allowed to evolve. A law nobody knows or cares about, being enforced to the tune of $400, community service, and enrollment in a program (~$200?). Who gets the $$? Not the business owner, they didn't even care. Laws have come to feed the machine! Not serve the populace!

Ridiculous happenings such as this only shed light on the new direction, desired by the elite, for the common. "Obey at all times! Don't step out of line! Your community may not notice or care, but WE DO!"
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:02 AM

The whole system breaks down because....

if people have their network named what it is out of the box....for example...."LINKSYS"....lets say that is their SSID and they don't secure it. Now, lets say I have my computer configured to "automatically connect" to the LINKSYS SSID. Well, if I move next door to a place that has that access point running and my computer automatically connects, how is anyone at fault except the equipment manufacturers?

At my apartment complex, there are 4 access points within my range that are named LINKSYS. 3 of them unsecured. There are 3 named BELKIN54G, 1 unsecured, and a few unsecured APPLE_NETWORK access points. I am unaware of what the piggy-backing law is, but it seems this all boils down to the people making the equipment. If a secured network is the only way around this...then there should be none sold without some sort of automatic encryption wizard to run when you first start the router or whatever. (I am ranting, sorry.)

#8 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

The whole system breaks down because....

if people have their network named what it is out of the box....for example...."LINKSYS"....lets say that is their SSID and they don't secure it. Now, lets say I have my computer configured to "automatically connect" to the LINKSYS SSID. Well, if I move next door to a place that has that access point running and my computer automatically connects, how is anyone at fault except the equipment manufacturers?

At my apartment complex, there are 4 access points within my range that are named LINKSYS. 3 of them unsecured. There are 3 named BELKIN54G, 1 unsecured, and a few unsecured APPLE_NETWORK access points. I am unaware of what the piggy-backing law is, but it seems this all boils down to the people making the equipment. If a secured network is the only way around this...then there should be none sold without some sort of automatic encryption wizard to run when you first start the router or whatever. (I am ranting, sorry.)

I agree, where lies the culpability? Maybe there is none!! Maybe that's an eventuality that we need to get back into touch with; nobody was harmed and nobody needs to be blamed. If you don't want to be piggy-backed, encrypt; if you don't care, then so be it. When is it the role of the user to secure themselves and when is it the role of the judicial system?
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users