Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Un-install Failed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 merthyrblue

merthyrblue

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:12 AM

Have been trying and failing to un-install AVG Anti-Virus. I keep getting the message: Uninstall Failed. When i clicked on details this is the message that was shown:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation
error: Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe stopping service.....
Service Avg7Alrt failed to progress at checkpoint1 (wait hint 5100 ms) in 85172ms

I have installed the Avast anti-virus program but i'm scared to run it in case it causes a conflict with the AVG program

I am running Windows Vista Basic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:19 AM

I would do the following :

1) Start up in safe mode
2) Do CTRL ALT DELETE and go to processes
3) Select all AVG related processes and end those.
4) Select all Avast related processes and stop those

Now try to remove AVG again. If you have Spybot S & D running you also should shut down the Teatimer which could cause conflicts with renovcal of software

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:24 AM

Also, ensure that you instruct the uninstaller to Run as Administrator (and to run in XP SP2 compatibility mode) to ensure that it works correctly.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Russsl

Russsl

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 02 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

I had the same problem. Something about the Grisoft AVG installation hangs up.

This is what worked for me. I went into the Admin account then to Computer/(the the drive it was on)/Program Files and hunted down the Grisoft folder. I entered that folder and deleted all the programs and drivers I could. Those that I couldn't, I renamed. Rebooted in Safe Mode and went back to the same folder and was able to delete the remainder. Reboot and go into the Admin account/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/System Configuration under the Services tab. Look for Grisoft AVG and uncheck the box.

Avast and Grisoft AVG play extremely well with on another. Wish I was still running both. Unfortunately I have to run an AV program so I'll be compatable with and can access my company's intranet portal.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:14 AM

You can also set all the programs that AVG runs (go to the AVG folder and look for the one's that end in .exe) to Run as Administrator.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:31 AM

Have a lok in Msconfig/startup and make sure you have AVG turned off.If it was not, turn it off and reboot. Try the uninstall again

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:59 PM

Many computer security programs have a bad habit of moving into your computer and then refusing to leave. I had this problem with ZoneAlarm. Thankfully, Vista was coming out so I did a clean install that wiped ZA off the computer. If you can prevent AVG from starting when the computer starts up, that could help as many security programs load processes that are hidden and cannot be stopped completely.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users