Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have Some Viruses....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 o2w4e

o2w4e

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

I'm using AVG Antivirus Free Edition, I have about 12 viruses in the virus vault and I'm not sure how I should go about getting rid of them. I'm afraid to just delete the files, can someone help me? If I need to post anything please let me know. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:10 AM

Every detected infected object should be moved to the AVG Virus Vault.
Within the AVG Virus Vault you can explore the object, delete it, or heal and restore the object if the cure has been implemented already.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:57 AM

Another incentive whether or not to delete the file from the virusfault would be whether the file is required for running the system

#4 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:53 AM

might as well google it to search more info about the specific object if it is friend or foe

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:55 AM

Another incentive whether or not to delete the file from the virusfault would be whether the file is required for running the system

If the file was required, for a program to function, quarantining it (putting it in the vault), would have already crippled the program, since anything in the vault, doesn't have access to your system.

I leave anything, quarantined in the vault, for 2 weeks.
If I notice no adverse effects to the system in that time, I delete the file(s) from the vault.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:58 AM

AVG's Virus Vault is designed to temporarily hold files it determines to be infected in a safe place where they can do no harm to your computer. However, because of false-positives or any potential detection error, the files in the vault can be restored if needed.
A good rule is to wait one week after placing files into the vault before deleting them, since any operating problems should show up by then.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

tg1911 and jgweed are right on target about keeping things in the vault in case of false positive. An example was seen in December 2006 when AVG quarantined a critical system file which it identified as Flooder.Ake. If the file was not restored from quarantine, the OS would not reboot. This issue was caused by a bug which gave a false detection of winlogon.exe. If the winlogon.exe file was moved or deleted the computer could get stuck in an infinite loop trying to reboot.

AVG AV Free users should read Chapter 6 of the AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual to learn more about the virus vault. The manual is also a good resource for explaining the Control Center, Settings, and other information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 o2w4e

o2w4e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

Thanks to everyone, I'll give it a week or two then decide whether I should delete or not. I know for sure what one of them is because I was suspicious of it when I downloaded it. Its a trojan horse downloader from a CD key generator I used when I bought a used game and found it didn't have the booklet with the key. I ran spyware and virus scans right after I got it but they came up with nothing so I assumed it was safe. Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users