Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avi Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

So I have some AVI files of some videos that I wanted but I could get them to play on VLC Media Player with Windows 2000 but they won't play when I try to watch them on Vista. All it does it show a black screen that flashes. I can hear everything, but I get no picture. Same goes for Windows Media Player. Any ideas? Maybe VLC isn't Vista compatible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

It's supposed to be compatible, but you could try Media Player Classic

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=84358

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

I just tried it with no luck. It said something about Codecs not being recognized by MPC or something like that.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:07 AM

Hi neonick, I had the same problem, download this file and all fixed http://www.codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
MCP
MSDST

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 31 May 2007 - 09:08 PM

I too have had issues playing some files in Vista. Oddly enough, I can play the MP4 and other files encoded with DivX or XviD, but WMV files will often not play or, if I try to seek or go to another point in the video, the video will either freeze or I will get a warning telling me WMP has encountered a problem and needs to close the file. Opening these files in VLC Player solves these issues for me.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users