Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Search Bar At The Top Of My Task Bar

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ras60

ras60

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:08 PM

Hi.
At the top of my screen when on the internet, alongside the status bar that shows the url of my current site, is a google search bar that I didn't put there.
Is there a way to take it out?
Thank you.
Raymond.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ras60

ras60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:14 PM

Here is the screen with the google search bar circled.

Posted Image

Edited by ras60, 28 May 2007 - 08:16 PM.

#3 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

Have you tried to uninstall the program with your Control Panel? Else, get CCLEANER (formerly known as crap cleaner). Many Bleeping entries about it, there is a recent entry on my post about Nero. I'd look it up for you but I'm pooped. Good luck!
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#4 ras60

ras60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

I searched my computer for files named google and these are there:

google C:\Documents and Settings\HP
google C:\Program Files
GOOGLETOOLBARNOTIFIER C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
GOOGLEUPDATERSERVICE C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
GoogleToolbar.dll C:\Program Files\Common Files

Which should I take out?
Thank you.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:49 PM

When IE7 is installed, it comes with a search bar, which is what you see. You can set this to any search engine you choose and that becomes the default search when you use that bar. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to remove it, as it is an integrated part of IE7.

#6 ras60

ras60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:44 PM

Thank you.
I see where I can change the search engine now.
Thanks.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:41 PM

Changing the default search is one thing. If you do figure out a way to get rid of it, let me know. I never use that box so it's just taking up real estate on the menu bar.

#8 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

Fozzie told me how to get rid of Nero. Since that's not your question, I will refer you to a magic program, formerly called "crap cleaner" and now sanitized and called "Ccleaner".

Download install and update http://www.ccleaner.com
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
Do two runs Analyze then Fix

There are 4 options in this wonderful little program, and it gives you a list of programs it can delete.
Suggest you read the tutorial (I didn't, Fozzie gave me great instructions) about Ccleaner, unless you are the curious type that's willing to just hit the buttons. So far, I have found it safe to do the "cleanups". Good luck; I am not sure it will undo Yahoo, but it's sure nice for cleaning up the :thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users