Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IMSurf Sentinel and Counter Spy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:14 PM

Hi all, I'm making the rounds of all the forums I belong to with this subject. :thumbsup: I got a trial copy of Counter Spy and have been using it for 12 days now. Did some research on it and it is really Giant under a new name and now what MS has calling a beta. It (Counter Spy) keeps finding IMSurf Sentinel.

What I have found on IMS is that it is a spy program not free or freely distributed in other words something you pay for and install to spy on someone. That just doesn't fit no one uses my PC but me and no one could install such a program.

I have removed it three times in the last 12 days and none of the other programs I use detect it including Giant. I'm thinking it could be a false positive or I have something else that is going undetected reinstalling it.

Has anyone heard anything? Giant seems to find SearchSquire often and says it is a side bar on IE, yet I have never had a side bar. Do these two get false positives for these items?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:38 PM

There's one way to be sure if there are any malicious programs on your computer, submit a HijackThis log.

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, but, the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member will assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 JeanInMontana

JeanInMontana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:51 PM

Has anyone heard anything?  Giant seems to find SearchSquire often and says it is a side bar on IE, yet I have never had a side bar.  Do these two get false positives for these items?

Yes, I know how HiJackThis works. Have analyzed several logs. They are all false positives in my scans.... see this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users