Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Router And What Kind Of Cards Should I Use?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 unnnies

unnnies

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:43 PM

Hi, Im looking to put a wireless system in my home. Basically Id like some advice on what router and cards to buy. I dont need it to be to powerful or do anything special just basic stuff like music downloading, email, ECT. I want the system to be reliable, easy to install, and have a reasonable amount of support. There would be 2 desktops and a laptop on the network. Wed probably be adding another laptop in a year. As far as cards go the laptop is already equipped, but both desktops would need one. I havent ever installed something into a computer but with good directions I wouldnt be afraid to try. However, Im wondering if I should just get USB wireless cards. I would like it to be economical but I dont want the product to be cheap (Im willing to pay and work a little for more quality). Finally I want to know if you would recommend buying any of this stuff used off eBay. Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:56 AM

You will notice a bit of difference between wired and wireless connections. The use of USB adapters will make this difference even worse.

Most economical is wired
Fastest is wired
Easiest is wireless
USB will add to the mix, thereby making things (wired or wireless) a bit slower.
You'll want to use the laptops wireless because of the convenience - even with a bit slower connection.

So, you'll need a wireless router (I recommend the NetGear WGR614 as a good but inexpensive router)
And you'll need a way to connect the desktops - either an add in wired NIC (Network Interface Card) with sufficient cables to make the connection, or an add in wireless adapter.
The Laptop should have both wired and wireless connections - so that'll be your choice.

I wired my home and it wasn't hard - just drilled some holes in the rafters and threaded the wired down to wall plates that I'd cut out of the wall. We've got 6 wired computers (and 2 more being built) along with 2 laptops that connect wirelessly.

I say avoid eBay like the plague,- but my wife has had a lot of luck buying technical equipment there - so it's your choice (and risk)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

I personally wouldn't recommend buying used off eBay. I use the Linksys WRT54G (I think that is the right model number) and find it very reliable and easy to configure. Will one of the desktops be close to the router? If so, you could just connect it with a network cable. AS far as wireless USB adapters go I haven't had much luck with them as far as reliability of connection is concerned I would go with a PCI wireless card for the desktop that won't be in proximity to the router. You will alson need to be sure that the router is placed in a central area of your home an dminimize the number of floors and wall sthat the signal has to go through. You should br able to get this all set up for around $200 - $220 (Canadian Dollars).
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users