Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer And Windows Mail

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:15 PM

The past few days i resorted to using Firefox because i can't use IE7 because it operates just too slow, takes ages to open and close, if i click & hold on title bar and drag the window around its all jeggered and not smooth like other windows (the only window that's doing it) and is the only program like this. (IE7 sometimes has "Not Responding" in title bar.

Can anyone help with this problem???

Windows Mail runs ok but if i open Windows Mail after the PC boots up for the first time, it goes all white and has "Not Responding" on title bar, it will settle down and be fine after this. But if i click on inbox and there is mail there it takes ages to load the message in the bottom part of the inbox. WM is only slow when there's mail. If there's no mail, its fine.

Is there any help for this also?

Would uninstalling both and reinstalling both help???

If so how do i do so??? I've checked on the "Vista Home Premium Upgrade CD" and there's nothing there like in XP.

SYSTEM:

Vista Home Premium (Upgraded from XP MCE 2005)
Pentium D 2.8Ghz
1GB ram with 256 shared graphics
160GB hardrive

thanks in advance for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:33 PM

Try running IE7 without add-ins ( Start, All Programs, Accessories, and System Tools. Select "Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)")
From this article: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/0...1246267,00.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

tried that, failed.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:17 AM

From this link: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/55...ndows-mail.html

No, Microsoft Mail cannot be uninstalled and reinstalled since it is part of the Operating System.
But, it can be rebuilt.

There is currently no patch available for the problem of emails not dispaying and not allowing you to empty deleted emails or delete them one by one using the delete command.

I too, received the error code "Message could not be displayed
Outlook Express encountered an unexpected problem while displaying this message. Check your computer for low memory or low disk space and try again."

I tried several fixes and database repair programs to no avail.

The following process worked for me:

Make sure that Windows Mail is closed when you do the next steps.

Go to the folder C:\users\%your computer name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ and copy the “Windows Mail” folder to another place on your hard drive for backup purposes so you will not lose any important emails.

Go back to the C:\users\%your computer name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\ folder and delete ALL of the contents.

WINDOWS MAIL, SINCE IT IS PART OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM WILL REBUILD THE FILES NEEDED TO RUN.

Open Windows Mail.

In Windows Mail, Go to File-Import-Messages

Select Microsoft Windows Mail 7, select next.

Browse to the location that you save the backup copy of Windows Mail. Then select OK.

Your messages will then be imported back into Windows Mail.

You will notice a folder that will be called “Recovered Messages”

Now, depending on what folders you had, recreate those under the Local Folders heading.

Go back to the folders of the messages you recovered, you will notice messages that were not removable before still there.

THE FOLLOWING WILL TAKE SOME TIME, BUT WILL REPAIR YOUR PROBLEM.

Locate each email that has NO Heading and highlight each one and hit the delete key, they will be placed into your Deleted Items folder, you must not go too fast or try to highlight and delete them all at once or you will get the error message again,.

Once you get to the emails that you want to keep from the Recovered folders, highlight all the messages by clicking on the first one, holding down the Ctrl key and selecting the last one.

Right click on the messages you highlighted and click “Move to Folder”, then select the folder you want them moved to.

Once the files have been moved, delete to folder that they were moved from (Makes it easier to keep track of where you are at.

Then go to your Deleted Items folder, right click and hit Empty “Deleted Items” Folder.

Hope this helps.

It also helps to change your setting under Tools-Options in the tab of “Advanced” under “Maintenance” Where the heading of “Cleaning up Messages” is located, check the box for “Empty messages from the “Deleted Items” Folder on exit. That way, your emails are removed and hopefully the problem stays gone.

Let me know if it works for you.

John

Also, here's a link to a site with information on repairing Vista: http://www.windowsvista.windowsreinstall.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:17 PM

i seem to have Windows Mail running properly now.

How do i remove Internet Explorer 7, as it is included with Vista Home Premium and its not located in Add/Remove and deleting the files fails because it doesn't let you.
I tried to install IE7 overtop but it won't as it says it already installed (Duhh!)?

Edited by Izzy, 30 May 2007 - 01:48 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:49 AM

As with Windows Mail, you can't remove IE7 as it's a part of the operating system. Go to Help in IE7 and type in "repair" - about the 3rd option down will be instructions on the various steps you can take to repair IE7 (other than a repair install of Vista). SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog is also an option.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

nothing in there helps. looks like i'm stuck with firefox

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

This is the only thing that I noticed:

1GB ram with 256 shared graphics

the minimum for Vista is 512M you only have 256M more than the minimum. Try putting another Gig into this machine if nothing else helps.

Edited by oldf@rt, 30 May 2007 - 04:13 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#9 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:31 PM

I don't understand IE7 and WM worked fine before until this happened, i'm planning on putting another 1GB ram in and planning to put in a 512mb video/graphics to see if that helps.

Since Windows Mail played up again this morning i've resorted to using Mozilla FireFox and Thunderbird which both run much better than Internet Explorer and Windows Mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users