Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Card Question.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:24 PM

I've been reccently added some upgrades to my Compaq Presario SR1750NX ( Quite happy with it, everything fine and no overly cheap things in it, except the power supply. Ram's Samsung so mediocre. Asus made Mobo, ect. ) Added a X700, works fine. Very recently added a X-finity 600W ( Another med quality PSU, but I don't plan to put much stress on it ) And seized a Sound Blaster Live from my school while scraping some older computers I think were donated, since they weren't really the companies my school buys computer from. Got an exact picture of it. Here. My question is, I got it running in my current computer already. Is it better then my intergrated Realtek 7.1? Oh, and I believe the name and model is "Sound Blaster Live!"

To me it kinda' sounds slightly more crisp on my speakers and subwoofer, but can't pin it down. Might be a bit of a placebo effect. Is it worth keeping it in, or go ahead and throw it out? I've never done paid attention or read anything about Sound cards, everything else, yes.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:19 PM

Well, the sound difference wouldn't be the only thing. Having a hardware sound card instead of a mobo one would free up some resources, and you may get better fps or performance. I would go with the sound card if you don't know which to do.

Posted Image

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

Well, the sound difference wouldn't be the only thing. Having a hardware sound card instead of a mobo one would free up some resources, and you may get better fps or performance. I would go with the sound card if you don't know which to do.

Well said! :thumbsup: I'd have to agree with it! :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:57 PM

But it's a fairly old sound card. It's discontinued. I know it'll take a bit of stress of the CPU. Though my intergrated one was a 7.1 intergrated, I'm really not sure on this one. Does have a veyr nice PCB colour and design though.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 dfence

dfence

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

I've got a Soundblaster Audigy card ( one step up from their live series ) and its been great for the past three years. Creative has been updating drivers for it untill last year, I find their EAX console quite adapt at creating good sound through the 5.1 setup. As for helping with FPS i'm not sure about that subject, but untill I build my next machine I wont be changing it. My onboard sound wasn't anywhere near the audigy, and have yet to find comments from other card users who failed to be impressed by PCI additions.

At the end of the day let your ears decide ;)
I'm not as think as you drunk I am

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:59 PM

But it's a fairly old sound card. It's discontinued. I know it'll take a bit of stress of the CPU. Though my intergrated one was a 7.1 intergrated, I'm really not sure on this one. Does have a veyr nice PCB colour and design though.

I've got the same card (SB!Live 5.1), and it's been going strong for well over a year now, probably closer to 2 years. Creative makes a solid card like dfence had mentioned, and the console that comes with it is straight forward and easy to use and get used to. As for taking some of the stress off the cpu and freeing up some system resources, yes, it'll do that, but you won't notice a huge difference, if you notice any difference at all. IMHO, I'd stick with a card rather than have integrated.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:41 PM

the SB Audiology SE has 7.1 support and can be had for about $25USD if you really need the extra channels

Posted Image

#8 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:16 PM

Well the card went :thumbsup: Tried connecting my front audio port to the card, since it was sort of annoying swtiching from my speakers and Headset constantly, and having to switch in the back. So, connected the 7 tiny pin wire that was my audio port to the back of the card and booted it up. Didn't work, turned on some music and heard just slight crackling in my headset. Had my case open ( Good thing I did ) because I smelt burning then a puff of dust shot up from the card ( Have a fairly big Zalman fan on my GPU that probably blew the dust from the sound card ) And I imediately turned off the computer. Removed the wire and noticed that it was extremly hot. Well removed it, it's now dead and back to the intergrated. Both kinda' sound the same. Anyone have some suggestions for a Sound Card that will just "Sound good" without a 100+ price tag.

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:17 PM

Sticking with Creative, here's the same card that I have that I'm very happy with-nothing glorious, but it does the job.....CREATIVE 5.1

Also, here's a CREATIVE 7.1 version of it, and it's only a few dollars more. Right now, the 7.1 version has free 3 business day shipping, while the 5.1 version is like just under $6. After everything is said and done with, the 7.1 card is cheaper, and seems like a better "bang for the buck" :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

Thanks, once I get some money. I'll look for that off TigerDirect ( Newegg don't ship to Canada, I believe )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users