Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore XP Pro - Data not recovered

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 donm41

donm41

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 02:49 PM

Preparing to upgrade to a new pc I was removing unwanted folders and files from my old pc yesterday. Like an idiot I deleted the My Documents folder and subfolders including My Pictures, Word Documents, and others. These contained years of irreplaceable family history research and old photographs. After realising my stupid error I thought I would be able to recover the information by using System Restore. I subsequently selected the nearest restore point, one day previous to my deletion, and attempted a recovery of my lost information. I am quite lost for words to describe the feeling when the data was not restored. I have tried another restore point date, two days earlier with the same result. Is it possible to recover this by another operation or have I lost this data permanently?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:52 PM

Use this aplication here:
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

It's free, and it should do the job for you.

If you need help running it, let me know and I will walk you through it. The directions with it are pretty good though, so I don't think you will have any problems. :thumbsup:

#3 donm41

donm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 06:08 AM

Many thanks Groovicus. I will attempt a recovery later today and advise you of the result.

Vox populi, vox Groovicus!

#4 larryzonka

larryzonka

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:11 AM

never tried this but it seems that it is worth a try, it has a software demo to see what you deleted, but I think you have to purchase to recover.

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

#5 donm41

donm41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:20 PM

I recovered almost all of the files which I deleted. However although some were designated as 'good' condition they had been corrupted . Thank you for your assistance.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:23 PM

Small consolation, but some is better than none... :thumbsup:

#7 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

donm41: Glad you got some help, hope what you recovered was the most valuable, but given:

These contained years of irreplaceable family history research and old photographs.

This would be a great time to think about backing-up that data and keeping the backup CD's in a safe place. Best regards.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users