Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts Randomly

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rabblerouser009

rabblerouser009

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:49 PM

I'm cleaning up my parents computer but it's kind of difficult because the computer kept restarting at random times. I changed the system properties to not restart when there's a system failure, but instead get the XP version of the Blue Screen of Death. It said the error occurred here:

Win32k.sys-Address BF815E0D base at BF800000. Datestamp 45F013f6

It also said to check the drivers and programs to make sure nothing was improperly installed. I'm not sure where to start with that though.

Any advice? Suggestions? Explicit directions on how to fix it? Yeah, any of those would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

The first part of the error message is important here. It'll be a set of words in all CAPS and there'll be _ between the words (FYI - that's called the symbolic name). Also needed is the string of numbers that were on the BSOD. They're generally in the format of 0x0000007b (with the last 2 or 3 changing for the first set that you see).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rabblerouser009

rabblerouser009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:45 PM

ok, here's what it said:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Stop: 0x00000050 (0xF6DD89C4, 0x00000001, 0xBF90900A, 0x00000000)

#4 Raj77

Raj77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:51 PM

This behavior can occur if your computer uses the STB nVidia ZX 8-MB AGP display driver. This problem may also occur with the nVidia Riva 128 chip set in general. Some of the drivers for this chip set support OpenGL in a way that conflicts with the NetMeeting sharing function in Windows NT.

To resolve this issue, obtain an updated video driver for your video adapter from the adapter's manufacturer or from your computer's manufacturer.

To work around this issue, use the standard VGA video driver for Windows NT when you are using NetMeeting with sharing enabled.

#5 rabblerouser009

rabblerouser009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

They don't have that, so it's not that Raj. Thanks though.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:03 AM

Link to the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x50

Since memory is the most common cause of this error I'd suggest running MemTest86 (a free utility). Please read the directions on the website carefully, as you'll have to create a boot CD (or floppy) and boot from it. Let the test run for at least 3 full passes (overnight is better) - but if you start getting errors you can stop the test (that means it's likely that the memory is bad).

Also, you can reset the pagefile by following the instructions at this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic71367.html#

Let us know what happens and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 rabblerouser009

rabblerouser009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

Whoa, I'm really sorry. That particular error was caused by Spybot. It was different than the one I got before that still happens at random times. That one is fixed now. This is the error that I get that I started the thread about:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If
this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified with in
the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver
updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove
or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced
startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xxC0000005, 0xBRF804966, 0xEF81C81C, 0x00000000)
*** win32k.sys- Address BF804966 base at BF800000, Datestamp 45f013f6

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance."

That's all it says. There was no symbolic name. This is the one I'm having trouble with. I'll do some more research while I wait for a response from you guys.

#8 rabblerouser009

rabblerouser009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:23 AM

By the way, I don't have the Haxdoor virus. I just read that it can cause both the stop error messages that I mentioned. I don't have any other symptom of the virus so I know it's not that.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:36 PM

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x8e

Since the error message refers to a Windows system file, it's unknown what the root cause of the error may be.

Try this link on finding more info on the BSOD and post back with the memory dump: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491

#10 rabblerouser009

rabblerouser009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

I get this message when I try to open the crash dump in the debugging tool:

Failure when opening dump file
'C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini053107-01.dmp',
HRESULT 0x80004002
It may be corrupt or in a format not understood by the debugger.

No such interface supported

#11 rabblerouser009

rabblerouser009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 01:44 PM

Also, is the memory dump supposed to be unreadable? I opened it with notepad and i just got a bunch of symbols.

Edited by rabblerouser009, 31 May 2007 - 01:45 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

Usually with this sort of problem, it's an issue with the loading of the symbols, or an improper instance of the debugger running. In short, I'd suggest removing the debugger from your system and starting over (download it, install it, setup the symbol files, then run the crash dump) to see if that makes a difference.

There's other problems (such as malware) that can also cause these issues.

FWIW - the debugging process is actually intended for driver writers to get information about the drivers that they write. So the format isn't intelligible to normal folks like you and I.

Another way to analyze a crash dump is here: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3...amp;postcount=4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users