Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help My Cpu Usage Is Always 100%

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eric808

eric808

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Hi, First my friend told me to post a hijack log in the other section and the moderator told me that my processes seems clean no malware was found. > Link http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/93772/i-read-stickies-and-still-slow-computer/. I even tried system restoring about 2 weeks back and still the same slow laggy computer. i read the stickies on the Windows XP Professional and my automatic update isnt even updating i click on it and i click express installation and after 10 mins or so the bar is still emty and it says Installing Processing..... well its been like 1 1/2 weeks and i cant do anything on my computer all i can handle is AIM and firefox and explorer. I dont know what to do maybe ill have to call in this guy that re-installed windows on my computer for $20 because i was a dumbass to delete system32 folder. Or maybe its time to buy a new computer i had this computer since 2001 it had no problems in the past. A custom built computer that my cousin built for me. Radeon 9700 256mb of Ram IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 CPU 1.80GHz 181 GHz Microsoft Windows X{ Professional Version 2002 service pack 2. Well hope you can fix my problem Thanks for reading this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

Are you sure it's just not that your computer's old? The specs show that your computer is pretty obsolete.

#3 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

Open the Task Manager (crtl+alt+del)
Look at the "Process" tab then tell us the CPU Usage,Mem Usage,Image Name
Of the top 5 Processes that are high

Edited by Commander Gman, 28 May 2007 - 08:24 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#4 eric808

eric808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

@ madman no my computer was perfectly fine i could handle battlefield 2 warcraft 3 and etc.
@gman
1. System Idle Process 70-85 CPU 16k Mem
2. taskmgr.exe 12 5,004k
3.iexplore.exe 3 27,808k
4.explorer.exe 2 12,088k
5.services.exe 3 1,036k
^^^^^ not all true its like the processes keep changing when im not doing anything % is usally 10-17 but when i type or w/e click something it spikes higher and higher Processes total 29 it just keeps blinking and new processes go over each other like iexporer pops out then explorer pops out then dissapears from the top 5

#5 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:56 PM

It is normal that the system idle process is high because that shows how much of your system is in "Idle"
Uhh sorry,my mistake........Try monitoring your taskmanager when the CPU spikes 100% in the performance tab
Then look at the most CPU-Usage in the Processes tab

Tell us the name of the process

Some of the question,when does the CPU usage spike to 100%?
Did you install anything recently?

Edited by Commander Gman, 28 May 2007 - 10:59 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

You only have 256 meg of ram, that is not near enough, XP is living in the paging file. The minimum that I recommend for my shops customers is 512M, and XP really does not even run correctly until the machine has at least 1 gig

an old rule that we use is Whatever M$ says for recomended minimum, multiply by four, and then double for good performance
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 eric808

eric808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:39 AM

@oldfart i handled xp professional for 6 yrs with 256megs of ram it was normal no lag no spikes no anything.
@gman i didint download anything that day i was just playing warcraft with my friends then i decided to turn off my computer then when i turned it on it got super slow. It spikes to 100% when i like open notepad ot anything even when i click start it spikes from 17%-72%.

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:20 PM

Open the task manager, and look at what your commit charge is: the machine I am on right now has one gig, the Total commit charge is about 540 meg with 44 processes running. The limit is 2.52 GIG and the peak is 937 meg.

#9 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:42 PM

I recently came across 2 computers that were using Microsoft Update and having problems with high CPU usage. Switching back to Windows Update resolved the issue. Seems that some update which was automatically downloaded must have caused the issue. As they were hourly-rate customers they did not want me to spend a bunch of time finding the root cause of the issue, I am not sure exactly what caused it.

Edited by twardnw, 29 May 2007 - 02:43 PM.

#10 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:22 PM

@oldfart i handled xp professional for 6 yrs with 256megs of ram it was normal no lag no spikes no anything.

I agree with Old Fart, that 256 megs is not near enough to run XP properly. You may have been able to run XP with 256 megs 6 years ago, as you have indicated, however XP is no longer the same Operating System that it once was. There have been many many updates and additions given out my Microsoft, and assuming you have been updating XP, your Operating System needs more RAM than it once did. 256 is not enough. 512 usually is for a current version of XP. More may even be indicated. This, however, is probably not the sole reason why your CPU is pegging out at 100%, but it may be related.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#11 eric808

eric808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:40 PM

well im getting 512megs in 3 weeks bought it online for $30 my friend spent his whole memorial day yestuday to try and fix my computer till 10 at night but he just cleaned up my drives by CCleaner and w/e. I just finished updating my computer and i got bad news maybe this is the problem it installed this program to my computer http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads...e2-187cff6f7187
and theres like a star on my computer that always appear on the bottom right screen when i put my mosue over it it says: You may be a victom of sofware counterfeiting. -_- what does it means? means that i got a cd key that is fake or something well i told you guys that a guy offered to *fix* my computer which he didn't he just re installed windows for me and probably he used a fake cd key and regisered it now microsoft found out and slowing my computer? well thats my thery i dont know D: couln't do anything for like 3 weeks so far i just come home from basetball or from school or friends house and i come home and just fall alseep onb my bed of boredness. Well thank you for reading this long reply xD sorry

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

See this Microsoft article which may apply to your problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:15 AM

Congrats on the new ram, check this KB article from microsoft about WGA errors, it may apply to you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926333

#14 eric808

eric808
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:06 AM

okay i asked my cousin that installed windows for me and he said that probably when i turned off my comp the automatic update was on and it updated something that installed the Genuine Windows for me and the problem now is that how can i uninstall it or fix it the microsoft links above helped explain the problem that its slowing down my comp but it doesnt say how to fix it.... you guys know how?

#15 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:15 AM

In my experience WGA is rarely wrong. You should call microsoft at the number given on their web page. Fixing the WGA issue probably will not help the speed of the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users