Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going Back And Installing Correct Hd Driver

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Eviscerata

Eviscerata

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

I just built my wife a new basic system to replace her aging Dell 933MHz PIII.

Her new PC details:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 2.13GHz Processor
  • GigaByte GA-965P-S3 Motherboard
  • OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC6400 800MHz Memory
  • EVGA E-GeForce 7600-GT 256MB DD3 Graphics Card
  • Maxtor 500GB SATA/300 Hard Drive
  • HP dvd940i 18x DVD Writer with LightScribe
  • Antec Solo sound-deadening case
  • Antec 350 watt PSU
  • WinXP Pro SP2
  • Kaspersky AV 6.0
  • Spy Sweeper
The system performs well and will automatically overclock itself up to 2645 MHz as the need requires.
My problem is that I determined after I put it all together and benchmarked it, that the SATA driver did
not get installed as a special SCSI driver at installation. Using the Passmark Performance Test, the results
for the Advanced Disk Test are: 1.6MB/s!! This from a drive spec'd at 3Gb/s (375MB/s)!

I would like to go back through the install process and make it right so that disk performance is on par with
the rest of the system. I have backed up the system image using Acronis version 10.

Is what I am considering possible? If so, am I missing anything from my thinking?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

Go to Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).
Locate the SATA controller and right click on it to Update the Driver.
Specify the location as the floppy disk (or CD if you're using that) to install the correct driver.

Make sure that you pick the correct device in Device Manager, and make sure that you pick the right driver to install.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Eviscerata

Eviscerata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

Thanks for the guidance. I've done that.

I would like to clarify whether I can expect decent performance from a SATA
connection if I'm only using one drive and RAID isn't part of my setup. It should be
faster than normal PATA/IDE, correct? I do realize that I could double up the drives,
install the RAID, and deliver much faster performance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

Yes, in general SATA drives perform better than IDE drives. I've been using SATA drives for the past several years and won't go back to IDE on one of my machines (despite the added hassle of SATA drivers).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Eviscerata

Eviscerata
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:41 PM

I was able to boot the Windows XP Pro install CD, press F6 when I was prompted for a SCSI driver
and install the correct GigaByte SATA driver from floppy. It copied the driver then proceeded to a
a page with 3 options: Continue Install, Repair, or Quit Install. I selected Quit Install since my system
was already working just fine and I just wanted to add the pre-install SATA driver.

I am still trying to determine what level of performance I should be seeing with a single SATA drive.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:58 AM

You'll be able to find some stuff at http://www..tomshardware.com

You'll also need some benchmarks to see the actual performance. I don't use benchmarks (preferring my own subjective experience), so someone else will have to suggest them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users