Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Hjt Pick Up All Infections

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:25 AM

i have a query hopefully someone can help with :flowers:
from what i can gather hjt shows were malwre usually hides but can it be elsewhere ,the reason i ask is i've had problem today with my google toolbar and ie7 ,google has vanished and ie7 will not go anywhere except to my favourites ,now i have looked at my log and compared it to my last clean log and with the exception of the two things i was told i could remove the logs are identical but everything about this problem seems malware related(imo)it could be something else but s i have mde no changes to my computer in the past few weeks ,wht else could it be and as i have been cleared by hjt a couple of times a feel a bit rude asking for there time again and would like to try and sort this out without bothering them if at all possible.at the moment i am at my wits end with this pc and really thinking of :thumbsup: and getting a new one if anyone cn helpp i would really appreciate it as i stated earlier i checked my last known good log(was given all clear with)so if there can't be malware anywhere else maybe something has changed a good file to a bad one with the same name
thank mz30 :trumpet:
lso noticed windows logo has replced the normal computer monitor in my tabbar the one next to where it says bleeping computer

Edited by mz30, 28 May 2007 - 11:28 AM.

god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:56 AM

...hjt shows were malwre usually hides but can it be elsewhere...i have been cleared by hjt a couple of times

HijackThis is an enumerator and similar in some respects to a registry editor program which displays areas of the Windows registry where the majority of malware reside. Hijackthis will scan certain areas of your system and then create a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in these known hiding places. But there are other types of malware which can hide from Hijackthis. If you have received assistance from the HJT Team, they would have done other checks to confirm your system was clean.

However, without taking the proper precautions you could have been infected again. If you have taken added security measures and practice safe surfing your problem could be due to something other than malware.

There have been reported problems with the Google Toolbar so I would start by removing it, rebooting and trying your browser again.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 mz30

mz30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:23 PM

thanks for the reply quiteman7
i have actually got my browsers working again(including google)
the reaason i asked the question was everytime i have been clered something else seems to go wrong hence the question about malware hiding elsewhere.
as i speak in my tab bar next to it saying bleeing computer insted of the monitor picture that should be there it a green tv with an antanae ouut the top and i have had a simlar problem before with diffrent pictures apearing in my taskbar .
i do as a rule practice safe surfing to a point ,(anything i download is scanned with three diffrent programs before i open it.
i know sometimes that does'nt matter but when the problem happened yesterday i had done nothing but log on nd come here to b.c.
i don't know maybe i am just unlucky,but every problem i have seems to come from nowhere
thanks again
mz30
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 12:37 PM

Your welcome.

You may want to review these links on How to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
"Seven ways to keep your search history private".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users