Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

Hi Guys and Gals,
My 40Gig hard drive is starting to fill up so I thought I might get an external hard drive. This is the one I am thinking of getting.
Posted Image
This 80gb 2.5inch Portable Hard Drive is just what you need to back up or take your data out on the go! With a portable hard drive you can transfer data faster than burning it to a CD or DVD, saving you time and money. With a total of 80GB - you can transfer a great deal of files without worrying about space. Furthermore, this brilliant portable hard drive is so compact and slim that it fits in the palm of your hand!
Great for the office, home or for storing multimedia files - there is always a use of a portable hard drive, and at this great bargain price it is a deal you simply can't afford to miss!
FEATURES:
* Soloman 2.5" external enclosure with 80GB Samsung HDD.
* 5400 RPM HDD
* USB 2.0 interface.
* Supports PC and Mac.
* No driver required (except for Windows 98 SE).
* Stable and shockproof.
* Ultra slim and compact.
* Bus power - no external power supply needed.
* Dimensions (L x W x H): 129 x 74.5 x 13mm.
* LED indicator.

I am thinking of storing my music files (about 2500 mp3's) on this instead of the computer. If I tell my media player to monitor this drive instead of "My Music", will I be able to play them from here?
Any opinions or advice welcome.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Panther 37

Panther 37

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:52 PM

Make one yourself!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817250002
Athlon 64 3200+ (939) | Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra | 2x512mb PC3200 G. Skill 2-3-3-6 1T | MSI 6600GT | TruePower 430W | Deskstar 160Gb T7K250 | Lite-On SHM-165P6S 16x +RAM | MSI 4xDVD Dual | Samsung 753DF 17" | Envision EN-980e 19" | Logitech MX518, MS Internet Keyboard Pro & XBOX 360 Game Pad | Sony MDR-E888LP Earbuds | Canon Rebel XTi (10.1mp) | Canon A75 (3.2mp) | Canoscan 8600F | Epson Stylus Photo R800 | Atheros AR5005GS 802.11g | LinksysWRT54G Router | Toshiba Satillite M65-S2909 Intel 760, 100Gb, 1Gb, ATI x600, 802.11g & DVD+DL

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:59 AM

Interesting website, panther, but not very helpful.
I am in Australia!
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:38 AM

While I'm not familiar with Australian retail sales, I'd suspect that there are both retailers and online retailers that you can get an external drive enclosure from.

I'm not a big music person (I don't even have the sound hooked up on this PC), but I'd suspect that there may be some lag problems with playing MP3's with the USB drive. But the music player that you use should be able to smooth some of that out without you noticing (sorta like the buffering on video files that're played from the web).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:53 AM

I have about 120 GIGS of music in 1 external drive all in MP3's. The one thing you should be watching for is this
* 5400 RPM HDD
. You should be looking at 7200 RPM HDD which gives an indication of how fast data can be transferred from the HDD.

I have a Seagate 320GB HDD which I purchased locally in a case for EUR.120.00 ( 187 AUD) :thumbsup: Both Winamp and WMP play my music flawless..

#6 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

Hi guys and gals,
Thanks to everyone for their input. I decided to get this drive and I received it yesterday. It works perfectly straight out of the box. I transferred all my music (2103 files) over to it then, after making sure they were there and accessible, I deleted the files from my computer hard drive.
I am pleased to report then instead of the HD being about 3/4 full it is now showing about 1/3rd full. My computer now seems to be responding a bit quicker after I did a full service cleanup last night.
I am playing the music directly from the usb drive now and I think it is playing even better than it used to off the drive. Maybe the drive being quite full was starting to effect that as well.

I now have another question. I only have 2 usb ports on the front of my computer that I use for a small jump drive and my digital camera uploads but I have 4 spares on the back which are not easily accessible. If I plug the usb HDD into the back of computer, can I leave it plugged in when I turn the computer off and on or would I have to unplug it all the time?

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Posted Image

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:50 AM

bus powered hard drives are problematic at best, usb is limited by design to like 200milliamps for all devices,
I would buy a cable extension and leave it plugged into the back of the computer

a powered hub would be even better
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

The cable that came supplied is plenty long enough to reach the back. It is just a hassle to get to the way I have my stuff setup (see pic) if I have to unplug it all the time.
Posted Image

That's my new drive sitting on top of the computer box, neat isn't it?
Posted Image

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

just get an extra cable and leave one plugged in, be sure and power down to disconnect or use the safe to remove feature
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users