Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permanant Hard Drive Activity

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nousernamesleft

nousernamesleft

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:18 AM

I have a problem with a friends pc that is driving me mad :thumbsup: The hard drive is permanantly busy and as a result is taking a good ten minutes to boot and when it has booted it runs like a dog. I assumed it was malware but after running the usual Spybot, Adaware etc and posting a hijack this log it is clean.
The PC is an Evesham shuttle and has a 3gig cpu a gig of memory and an onboard radeon 9100 vid card. Apparently the fault first occured when he was running a virus scan, (Norton), where the resolution dropped to it's lowest settings and an error popped up saying the video card has failed. I ran a virus scan too and got the same message but let it continue scanning just in case. A reboot cured the vid card fault and control panel shows no issues. I have downloaded some drivers but not installed them yet as I don't think the card is the problem. When system is running task manager looks fairly normal - no cpu or memory hogs - but the hard drive is constantly grinding. There is a huge amount of software installed on this machine and Something called Norton Go Back, which is new to me. I assume it is a snazzier version of system restore. I have tried starting in safe mode but only gets as far as ATISGKAF.SYS and stops. After some googling this points to the vid card s/w, but would that make the hdd chunder? Sure this whole problem is Norton based but my friends daughter is getting married today so he will not be contactable. Guess I'm second guessing myself but wondered if you guys had seen similar problems or whether I am in fact wrong about Norton. Apologies for the long winded post but tried to get everything in.. Any thoughts or ideas on this welcomed..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

Norton Go back is a system restore partition in case windows becomes corrupt you can boot to this partition and restore the computer back to factory or original specs. You said there was ALOT of stuff on the computer have you tried defragging the drive. If the computer has to constantly look all over heck to find stuff it will never stop looking.

:thumbsup: TO BC

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 May 2007 - 08:49 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

Generally it's recommended that a hard drive have at least 15% free space in order to work properly.
After that, I'd suggest running a diagnostic (usually free) from the manufacturer of the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 nousernamesleft

nousernamesleft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:04 AM

200gb Drive, half full. Pc check & check it both say all is well. Disabled Norton go-back yesterday, which took AGES, and machine is a lot better now. Drive does need a defrag but it's not mine and I don't suppose the owner has a back up. Having disabled Go back I'm not risking a defrag.. Find it hard to believe that a Norton product would cause a machine to do that but having spent a lot of time on Google I'm not the only one with problems.. Think I'm going to call it a day on this one - thanks guys.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:34 PM

:thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +