Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Reboot each time the ccApp.exe application error comes up."

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pexter

Pexter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:37 PM

I'm having the same problem. I have to reboot each time the ccApp.exe application error comes up. Like for you it blocks Outlook's send/receive.

Originally I thought the problem was due to a conflict between NIS and Spybot. Because I believe that viruses are more dangerous than spyware, and NIS includes antispyware, I decided to uninstall Spybot. It had no effect.

I called Norton Symantec about the problem and the tech insisted it was due to a virus. He said it would cost $99 to have the antivirus team remove it. In response to my comment that I thought it was wrong for Norton Symantec to charge for a virus that their own program missed, they said no program is 100% effective at catching viruses. I believed this argument and decided to pay the fee for all the trouble it would cost me.

I spent hours on the phone, repeated telling the same problem many times to many techs over several days, ran antivirus scans from online and from my computer, there were no viruses, cleaned out temp file, unloaded and reloaded NIS 2006, they bothched up intenal communication records, gave me erroneous instructions that they had to correct, and in the end said they had exhaused their solutions, would research it and call me back in 48 hours. They never did. An email to the supervisor resulted in no response. I lost $99 and all the time spent following instructions they read from decision tree manuals.

I believe this problem has a simple solution for someone who is computer savvy. Because the problem is attributed to NIS on many web sites, someone at Norton must also know what the problem and solution is. How to find out?

Split from the topic "Ccapp.exe Norton Issue, exec halting and knocking out Outlook" in the NT/2000/2003 forum. ~acklan~

Edited by acklan, 28 May 2007 - 12:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:11 PM

The best way to eliminate problems with Norton, is to use the removal tool, ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_...a/removal_tools

there are two listed, use the one for your OS. Once this has been run, restart the computer and use a different anti virus here is a list of what I consider to be the best: Nod32, Kapersky, Panda, Trend Micro, F Secure, Avast Free, AVG Free, Avira Free, Bitdefender, I am sure that I will miss some.

Norton does not play well with others, and is becoming a pain in the arse for many people.

, thanks, DC3, I agree, this also includes McAfee. FWIW, the most infected machines that I get at my shop always seem to be using Norton or McAfee.

Edited by oldf@rt, 27 May 2007 - 05:11 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

Pexter,
I have had very similar problems with Norton, but they didn't get my $99. Suggest you contact your credit card company and dispute the transaction. Use your e-mails (with header info) as backup that they couldn't fix it. You should not pay for "Services not received" even though you ordered it. You must do within 2 months, I think, but the sooner the better. They will want a written fraud report.

Hi OldF@rt :flowers: I'm having a birthday next week and i really don't like this number, so I'm going to stick with 50! ha ha.

OF: On your recommendations to use the freebies, I always have success running online scans. Webroot and WinLiveOneCare never find anything. If my firewall is indeed working (as Windows XP and live one care say) is it ok to not have the virus program running all the time? I am still cleaning Norton off the machine, including Ghost, so thanks for the link. CCcleaner found lots of "Carp". I re-ran it a couple of times until it didn't find any more problems.

Thanks a bunch! :thumbsup:
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

OF: On your recommendations to use the freebies, I always have success running online scans. Webroot and WinLiveOneCare never find anything. If my firewall is indeed working (as Windows XP and live one care say) is it ok to not have the virus program running all the time? I am still cleaning Norton off the machine, including Ghost, so thanks for the link. CCcleaner found lots of "Carp". I re-ran it a couple of times until it didn't find any more problems.

Going without an active antivirus is like an open invitation for malware and virii to invade your machine. Give Avast Free a try, if you like it register it http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html read this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1628/simple-steps-to-keep-your-computer-secure/
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users