Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting System Volume Information

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 knightwadda

knightwadda

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:21 PM

I am currently have a problem deleting two files from my computer that are taking too much space, as much as 15gb of space. the files are in the C:\system volume information folder. C:\System Volume Information\_restore{385EE1E7-A29C-49E6-9DE1-31321CBB5891} and C:\System Volume Information\_restore{E09DE392-3B62-4FCC-B8A4-9D49E87655A5} I've tried disabling system restore and then making sure i have the permission to to modify the folders, but it does not change the fact that i can't delete them. i noticed that after going to the folders properties and tried to change the attribute form read only and unhide as soon as i apply the the settings and click ok it goes back to read only, therefore stopping me form deleting or modifying anything. I've also tried to deleting them through the cmd program after closing explorer from the task window but nothing. i have also tried using disk cleanup going to more options and selecting delete system restore files but that did not do it either. i am using a dell inspiron 6000 and running vista 32bit. ♠ I've been trying to delete this file for over 2 months now to no avail. so please help if you can.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

If you aren't the "Adminstrator with full privileges", you won't be able to delete it. Do you know what it is? It's located in system restore, so that's not really a problem (unless you need to restore back to that point in time).

If you know your computer is clean of any malware (viruses, trojans, etc...), you can create a new restore point (be sure to "name" it)...and that item shouldn't appear again

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 knightwadda

knightwadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

I got admin rights because i am the only user and i made sure that i got the rights to modify any file on the pc. i don't have any mal file on the computer and creating a new restore point did not change anything.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:19 PM

You have to login as Administrator not your own private login. Go to >computer>manage>local users>users>admin set password and reboot then log in as Admin.
MCP
MSDST

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:23 AM

Just because you have Administrator rights (or even if you are in the Administrator account) that doesn't mean that you have the rights to modify any file on the computer (this should be obvious since you can't modify System Volume Information).

There are several different accounts on your system that aren't visible to you with normal methods - and there are also security processes that prevent even the Administrator from changing things.

To view (and modify) the folders there, you'll have to take ownership of them through the Security features of the file system. BUT, deleting/modifying individual restore points can cause the System Restore feature to stop working (or to not work correctly).

Additionally, if you want to modify the access permissions, you'll have to exit the dialog where you took ownership and reopen the dialog to change the permissions. All in all not something to take on casually.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 knightwadda

knightwadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

"You have to login as Administrator not your own private login. Go to >computer>manage>local users>users>admin set password and reboot then log in as Admin."

After right clicking on my computer and selecting manage, the following window that opens up does not give me an option to select local users at all. i've looked through the menus there but did not find local users.
here is a link of screen capture of the menu. Just delete the space between "divshare and com" and add a period to complete the link.

http://www.divshare com/download/775277-178

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:21 AM

Sorry I wasn't trying to help you delete system restore points but to show you how to log on as Admin. Read usama's post as you could do unrepairible damage to your system. Microsoft says (and I can scan the article if you like) not to delete system restore this way but to remove excess restore points through accessories.

Edited by Monty007, 30 May 2007 - 05:21 AM.

MCP
MSDST

#8 knightwadda

knightwadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:40 AM

so what are my options, cuz i need to recover the 15g space.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:51 AM

Turn off System Restore, reboot, turn System Restore back on, create a new restore point.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 knightwadda

knightwadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:59 PM

that did not remove the files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:19 AM

If my previous suggestions haven't worked, then I'd suggest that you may want to retry them (ensuring that you run these things as an Administrator). Also, please be aware that more than System Restore points are stored in the System Volume Information folder. In mine I have an SPP folder, a System Restore folder, a WindowsBackup folder and a WindowsImageBackup folder - along with 9 files that occupy 19 gB of space on their own.

Beyond that, I'm outta suggestions. Try Bert Kinney's website for more detailed info: http://bertk.mvps.org/

Edited by usasma, 31 May 2007 - 06:42 AM.

#12 knightwadda

knightwadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

i know about the other files, but meanwhile i will check on that site. thannks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users