Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Thermal Paste To My Gpu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:41 PM

So after much agony of dealing with my graphics card overheating (today it turned off on me while playing games four times), I decided to take the fan/heatsink off in frustration. So what I saw was an ugly little dried up gloop of thermal paste. The core seemed to be only about 1/2"-3/4" big.

My question is would cleaning the old paste off the processor and heatsink with that one type of alcohol, then adding new stuff like arctic silver 5 be safe? Also, would it perhaps fix the problem, or at least help? I remember my friends computer processor was idling at about 69C and then when he took the crap that came with it off and added new stuff it was idling at about 30C. Thanks for reading this post!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

Well, you took it off so now you have to put it on. I wouldn't recommend running without it. Clean it off and use a THIN coat of thermal compound
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 May 2007 - 10:15 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:33 PM

The object is to only have thermal coating on the processor itself (that little 1/2" thing) - so very little is needed. Avoid excess! I put a dab on about the size of 1/2 a grain of rice and smear it around with my finger tip (then gripe and moan when trying to remove it from my finger tip! :thumbsup:

Make sure the surfaces on the CPU and on the cooler are clean first!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

Yes, I would find it quite safe. When I bought an aftermarket fan for my GPu, I had to put thermal compound or whatever you'd lkie to call it. But only put a tiny bit on the top where the name and such is. Like This. But maybe a bit more clean, you only need the most tiny dab.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:57 PM

Tutorial on applying compound:
Arctic Silver
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users