Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows Xp On Thinkpad Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brandscill

Brandscill

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:03 PM

Ok I am sitting here with this thinkpad 240x and from what I can gather, the hard drive has been wiped when I turn it on I get this

Partition corrupt or doesnt exist, save to disk feature disabled run phisk bla bla bla

then operating system not found

So as it stands I have 2 choices, windows xp install from disk)

or windows 98 floppy to begin with then 2 cd's

then thinkbad reconises the floppy drive, but not the usb external cd drive, god knows what type of connection the floppy drive uses a serial like one... I am not sure, anyway that works, the usb external cd drive is the orginal and does work on other computers

So help me where do I go from here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

Here is a link to M$ to get the floppy disk utility

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994 you will need to have an external optical drive that hooks up to usb, another computer to download the file and to make the floppy (six) disks.once you have done this, you can boot from the floppys, with the optical drive hooked up. you can also see if the laptop has external usb boot in the bios.

Edited by oldf@rt, 27 May 2007 - 05:45 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:35 AM

This article might be of interest.

Install Windows XP without floppy or cd drives
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 Brandscill

Brandscill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

Thanks guys all sorted now thinkpad lives!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users