Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Just Pain Out Frezzes And Wont Do Any Thing?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 daffsbro

daffsbro

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:50 PM

Hello I have an HP Pavilion ze4900 aka ze4901us Laptop/Notebook

Windows XP Home sp2 [all updates installed]
Intel Celeron M 1.3GHz
736MB Ram

At Random times for no reason weather I'm surfing the net or running a virus scan or playing a game or just sitting on the desktop my screen just freezes nothing works mouse wont work the only thing i can do is hold down the power button to force the computer to shut off then turn it back on.

Any Ideas?

I still have like 1 year extended warranty through Circuit city but they said they wont take it till I can explain to them what the issue is. Kinda hard for me to think of how to explain it better then I just did.

Any ideas about the problem?

Edited by daffsbro, 27 May 2007 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:31 AM

Check for errors in the Event Viewer at the time of the freeze.

Try testing the memory with Memtest86.

Try testing the hard drive for errors. If you go to the website of the manufacturer of the drive there should be a diagnostic tool you can download.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:25 PM

How do I use this mem test thing?
also my hard drive says its a: WDC WD400VE-00HDTO
Circut city has replaced it before.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:11 PM

Go to http://www.westerndigital.com and download their diagnostic tools.

MemTest is a bootable disk (so you'll have to create a disk for it - then you'll have to boot from it). The directions are on the website. Once you boot from the disk, let it run at least 3 full passes (overnight is better). If you get errors, then it's likely that your memory is bad.

As for Circuit City, make sure the battery is charged and then when it freezes, take it to them and show them that it's frozen!

Meanwhile checking the Event Viewer will give us some ideas to pursue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 11:10 PM

HD Scan:<br>

Posted Image

Event Viewer: had no errors at the last time it froze
<br><Br>
Mem Test: Trying to Figure out still

Edited by daffsbro, 28 May 2007 - 11:10 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:31 AM

For MemTest86, download the ISO file to your computer.
Then download this free ISO burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm Download the .exe version and double click on it.
Point the dialog at the ISO file and let it burn to a CD.

Then reboot your computer with the CD in the drive. Press Esc as the computer boots to get at the boot menu - then select the CD drive and let it boot and run.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

It just happend again, Checked Event viewer Nothing at all.... >:flowers:
I ran mem test "No Errors"

Now what? :thumbsup:

Edited by daffsbro, 31 May 2007 - 07:53 PM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 01 June 2007 - 12:30 AM

Did you let memtest run through several passes? It's best to leave it for 3 or 4 passes, just let it run overnight. Sometimes a single pass won't show up errors but multiple passes will.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:54 AM

Yes I did 10 Mem tests Left it on over night. Whats my next step?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:53 AM

I'd suggest that the next step would be SiSoft Sandra Lite (free) to see if it can identify any other hardware problems with your system. You can get it here: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264

That'll rule out/identify most obvious hardware problems. After that, run one of these free, online scans to double check your current protection package:

http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

After that we'll have to look at the Event Viewer again for errors that may be causing this (any errors may be significant). See more about the Event Viewer here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ While you may not have the BSOD errors described there, the process is the same.

#11 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

I downloaded SiSoft and I have no clue to use it to check my hardwere, can you please let me know,

Results of the scans you told me to use:

Windows live: Clean
House call: Clean

Edited by daffsbro, 07 June 2007 - 01:46 AM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 05:46 AM

Run the program and check the different categories for your hardware. If there are issues, they'll be mentioned in there.

#13 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Here you go:

SiSoftware Sandra

Display on Screen
Connection : Local Computer
Device Type : Desktop

Computer Overview
Analysing...
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Notice 5901 : CD 1x= 150kB/s; Exercise caution when comparing measured versus published ratings.
Notice 5902 : DVD 1x= 11.08Mbps Exercise caution when comparing measured versus published ratings.
Finished Successfully : Yes

Mainboard
Analysing...
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Warning 2507 : Mainboard has too few memory slots. Upgrading the memory may be difficult or expensive.
Warning 2508 : All memory slots are full. Upgrading the memory may be difficult or expensive.
Tip 2546 : Large memory modules should be ECC/Parity.
Warning 2544 : System/Video shared memory greatly reduces performance. Use external video card.

Plug & Play
Analysing...

Mainboard Configuration
Analysing...
Notice 224 : System BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Tip 212 : System BIOS : BIOS can be shadowed so check whether it is.
Warning 214 : System BIOS : BIOS is flash-able but surface-mounted. An unsuccessful flash may be fatal.
Warning 208 : System BIOS : BIOS does not support the EDD (Enhanced Disk Drive) specification. Check for an update.

Processors
Analysing...
Notice 224 : CPU 1 [Processor 0, Core 0, Thread 0] : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

Buses and Devices
Analysing...
Error : CardBus Bus 3 (1/1x BClk) : No devices found. : No devices found.

Power Management
Analysing...
Tip 1108 : Processor power policy not optimal. For best power management efficiency, choose the adaptive mode.
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

System Resources
Analysing...

Displays and Display Adapters
Analysing...
Tip 319 : Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver (display) : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible.
Tip 322 : Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver (display) : Turn off screen savers. Use the monitor power saving mode.
Tip 323 : Video Adapter : Primary Display Driver (display) : Remove the desktop wallpaper to save memory and improve performance.
Tip 319 : Video Adapter : Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (\\.\DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : A refresh rate of at least 75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible.
Tip 322 : Video Adapter : Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (\\.\DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : Turn off screen savers. Use the monitor power saving mode.
Tip 323 : Video Adapter : Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller (\\.\DISPLAY1) @ \\.\DISPLAY1 : Remove the desktop wallpaper to save memory and improve performance.
Tip 316 : Monitor : Default Monitor : Use a Energy Star (DPMS) power saving monitor.
Warning 332 : Monitor : Default Monitor : Use a Plug & Play/DDC compatible monitor and video adapter.

Physical Disks
Analysing...
Warning 3101 : WDC WD400VE-00HDT0 (ATA) : Power management enabled. Consider disabling on desktops.

SCSI Devices
Analysing...
Warning 2600 : HST H0 (NTSCSI) (07 10) : WDC WD40 0VE-00HDT0 : SCSI version does not adhere to ANSI. Probably ATA/ATAPI device.
Warning 2600 : HST H1 (NTSCSI) (07 10) : TEAC DW-225 : SCSI version does not adhere to ANSI. Probably ATA/ATAPI device.
Notice 5901 : HST H1 (NTSCSI) (07 10) : TEAC DW-225 : CD 1x= 150kB/s; Exercise caution when comparing measured versus published ratings.
Notice 5902 : HST H1 (NTSCSI) (07 10) : TEAC DW-225 : DVD 1x= 11.08Mbps Exercise caution when comparing measured versus published ratings.

Printers and Faxes
Analysing...

Communication Devices
Analysing...

Ports
Analysing...

Audio Devices
Analysing...

Mice and Track-balls
Analysing...
Tip 803 : A mouse with wheel is recommended for better control.

Keyboards and Tablets
Analysing...

Smart Cards and SIMs
Analysing...

Network Adapters
Analysing...

Network (LAN)
Analysing...

IP Network
Analysing...

Operating System
Analysing...
Warning 1316 : This copy of Windows contains Product Activation Technology.
Warning 1322 : Hardware DEP is not supported by your CPU. Software DEP in use. Consider upgrading for complete security.

Key Applications
Analysing...

Start Menu Applications
Analysing...

Memory Usage
Analysing...

Processes
Analysing...
Tip 1601 : Steam : Program consumes a large amount of memory.

Modules
Analysing...

Services and Drivers
Analysing...
Tip 2130 : Background Intelligent Transfer Service : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130 : Computer Browser : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130 : Error Reporting Service : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130 : Help and Support : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130 : TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130 : IPSEC Services : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130 : Secondary Logon : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130 : Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional OS version.

Installed Applications
Analysing...

Installed Processes
Analysing...

Components & Objects
Analysing...

Fonts
Analysing...

Media Devices
Analysing...

DirectX
Analysing...

OpenGL
Analysing...

Remote Access Connections
Analysing...

Logical Drives
Analysing...
Tip 1821 : Hard Disk (C:) : Label (name) drive.
Warning : CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : Cannot obtain drive information; check that a disk is in the drive and it is correctly formatted.

Application Scan
Analysing...

Data Sources
Analysing...

File Types
Analysing...

Web Components
Analysing...

Environment Variables
Analysing...

Analysis and Advice

Edited by daffsbro, 08 June 2007 - 08:47 PM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

Try shutting off Steam and seeing if it freezes then. Steam was a bit buggy for me when I used it.

#15 daffsbro

daffsbro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2007 - 11:59 PM

It did it again at 9:34pm Every thing fezzes the only thing that works is Turn my Touch pad light on and off and Force shut down via the power button Hold 10 seconds.

Here is my event viewer log:

Type Date Time Source Category Event User Computer
Information 6/10/2007 9:42:37 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:42:37 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 Kevin -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:42:34 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:42:33 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:42:33 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 Kevin -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:33 PM SideBySide None 59 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:33 PM SideBySide None 58 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:33 PM SideBySide None 34 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:31 PM SideBySide None 59 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:31 PM SideBySide None 58 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:31 PM SideBySide None 34 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:31 PM SideBySide None 59 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:31 PM SideBySide None 58 N/A -Computer name-
Error 6/10/2007 9:42:31 PM SideBySide None 34 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:41:14 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:41:10 PM Tcpip None N/A 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:41:07 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 Kevin -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:41:07 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:53 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:48 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:47 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:46 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:46 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:44 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:43 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:39 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:39 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:38 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:36 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:34 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:33 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:33 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:33 PM Service Control Manager None 7036 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:33 PM Service Control Manager None 7035 SYSTEM -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:22 PM eventlog None 6005 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:40:22 PM eventlog None 6009 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:33:33 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:31:58 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:31:08 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:30:52 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:29:17 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:23:07 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:21:22 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:17:21 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:02:01 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-
Information 6/10/2007 9:00:15 PM Tcpip None 4201 N/A -Computer name-