Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Free But Still Slow

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 frankw

frankw

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hello,

Thank you in advance for any help given. I was on the hijackthis thread and was given the all clear sign.

About a week ago my computer slowed down considerably.

I deleted explorer.exe through the task manager and lost all icons and taskbars. Now when we reboot all that appears is the background. I can access IE or Firefox through the task manager and then about 5 minutes later the icons and taskbar appear. I tried system restore and that did not work.

Once a browser is open the internet works fine.

Double clicking an icon on the desktop ( when they reappear ) takes about 5 minutes to open.

Again thanks for the help!

All the Best,

Frank Williams

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

Try opening Task Manager, clicking on the Processes tab, then clicking on the View menu. Then click on Select Columns, and then put a check mark in the IO Reads box. Then look at the processes to see what's consuming the most memory, the most CPU, and the most IO Reads. Also let us know if it's a lot higher than anything else (that'll be the clue that the problem is with that process).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 frankw

frankw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

By far for reads lsass.exe and csrss.exe

Memory usage:
1) svchost.exe ( there are 5 listings of this )

2) explorer.exe

3) iexplore.exe

#4 frankw

frankw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

Whoops forgot to mention cpu usage, system idle process takes 90+ % although every once in a while sqlservr.exe spikes around 17-18%

#5 frankw

frankw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

One more response...svchost.exe spikes to 97 % every so often ( about 5 or so minutes )

#6 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

Try turning of Automatic Updates
To this go to the Security Center,Under Manage Security Settings for click Automatic Updates then Click turn of then click apply then ok

Monitor the cpu usage of svchost.exe and tell us if it spikes again

Edited by Commander Gman, 27 May 2007 - 10:11 PM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task manager in order to optimise the running of the various services.

A common cause for a spiking CPU can be related to the MS update package and Windows Installer (MSI).

...The Svchost.exe process may spike the CPU usage to 100 percent during update detection or update installation. Also, the Svchost.exe process causes the computer to stop responding for various lengths of time...The Svchost.exe process produces an access violation during update detection or update installation...

MS Article ID: 932494
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 frankw

frankw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Hmmmm. I am unable to switch automatic updates off

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:38 PM

To disable Automatic Updates do this:
  • Go to Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • In the list of services, scroll down to "Automatic Updates"
  • Right click on it and then click on "Properties"
  • Change Startup Type from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'
  • APPLY the change and close the window.
  • Then Reboot and see if you still have automatic updates running.

#10 frankw

frankw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 11:13 PM

Ok got Automatic Updates turned off. Rebooted and it is still off. Restart extremely slow and tried to access IE from start menu and that is very slow.

Edited by frankw, 27 May 2007 - 11:14 PM.

#11 Commander Gman

Commander Gman

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 01:58 AM

There is a fix for that...
You'll have to download it from their site

Also try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089

http://ask-leo.com/svchost_and_svchostexe_...s_and_more.html

Edited by Commander Gman, 28 May 2007 - 02:11 AM.

Motherboard: MSI P35 Neo-F (Socket 775 LGA) Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40 Ghz Kentsfield Chipset: Intel P35 Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GT 440 Memory: 2x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM Storage: 1x IDE 80GB, 1x SATA II 500 GB, 1x External 500GB HD Power Supply: 600W Power supply Monitor: Dual screen set-up Casing: Mini-ATX Fan(s): 1x 80mm silent fan OS: Windows XP SP3

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:43 AM

Try using this free utility to find out what's running underneath that svchost.exe process: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx When you hover the mouse over it, it'll reveal some file names. Be sure you have the correct svchost.exe process and we should be able to suggest some fixes.

BTW - System Idle Process is just your system "idling" - so high numbers there are a good thing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:28 AM

The hotfix that was described in this article (916089) has been replaced by a more recent hotfix (927891). Hotfix 927891 includes the updates that are listed in this article....

MS Article ID: 916089

...You receive an access violation error when you try to install an update from Windows Update or from Microsoft Update after you apply hotfix package KB916089...The Svchost.exe process that runs Windows Update stops responding...may show CPU usage at near 100 percent..]Hotfix 927891 resolves newly-discovered crashes that occur in the Svchost.exe process. Because of the access violations that hotfix 916089 does not resolve, hotfix 927891 also resolves the reported access violations that occur in the Svchost.exe process...Hotfix 927891 includes hotfix 916089...

MS Article ID: 927891

#14 frankw

frankw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 04:27 PM

Ok tried to run MS Article ID: 927891
computer froze. ended it in task manager. I was able to run process explorer there is about 30 items running under svchost.exe but it's not taking more than 3% cpu

sqlservr.exe takes up to 17 % every so often.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:38 PM

If I may ask, why are you running SQL Server on your system? 17% will slow the system down - so it could be the cause of it.

If the IO Reads aren't all that high, then it may mean that the issue isn't with the hard drive (a major source of slowdowns - either because of hardware problems or program accesses). That leaves the rest of the computer (generally all solid state and no moving parts to slow stuff down).

Also, what are your system specs? If it's a store bought PC, the make and model will be enough - if it's a custom built system, then we'll need the processor, hard drive, RAM, etc.

How many processes are running in Task Manager (in the lower left of the window)? Try clicking on the Performance tab and let us know what the numbers are there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users