Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Behaviour Windows Xp Professional, My Windows Xp Behaves Strangely

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 usman3206

usman3206

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 03:10 PM

I have strange problem, may be some one can guide me on to this. I have a P2, 400 MHz old machine running windows xp service pack2. It performed well according to its capacity till now. Now something strange is happening, once suddenly when i started windows it showed to have loaded only the basic hardware and software components. Copy option was available but paste option was in the gray. Net connection was visible only on the shortcut and that too did not work, and properties showed its target area to be in the grey shades. No sound was audible with any media player but system device manager showed every thing to be working fine. Tried to create new internet connection but the connect internet manually option appeared in the grey shade and not available. Could not understand any reason. Ran antivirus AVG and disk scan both showed every thing to be perfectly fine. Tried to repair windows with installer but after rebooting and setup showed fatal error again and again, frustrated reinstalled whole windows again and it all started perfectly but again after normal turn off and restarting windows same problem again appeared. Again reformated and reinstalled windows and everything started well but again at restart same problem. I have formated and reinstalled windows xp many a times but i just i can't understand the problem. I am an old computer user from 80286 family and DOS 4 and have good know how and usually almost always handle problems by myself but this time i am really stuck. Could you guys help me understand this???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

Did you only format or did you wipe and format? Could you list all of the security programs you used to scan for malware?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usman3206

usman3206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:50 PM

What do you mean by wipe and format, i used quick format and then reinstalled windows. I used AVG antivirus free edition and scandisk from windows 98 on another drive. Even the Nero is not working, it does not show my Asus CD writer.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:01 PM

Formatting a drive does not destroy the data on it, it simply removes the file structure that allows windows to see. Wiping a drive overwrites the data making it useless. If you have virus on your computer and only format they could survive the installation process to infect your system again.
I use a Kill Disk to preform a simple "Quick Wipe". This removes all data.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 06:21 AM

Have you installed your device drivers (after installing Windows)? To tell, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Look for any red x's or yellow !'s and let us know.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 usman3206

usman3206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

Thanks buddy but i thinik i have found the bug, it all started when i installed a cracked version of new winrar, the cracked part made me to change its registry file in its installed folder and after changing its registry file all this started and with each new installation i was again and again installing it so this time i did'nt install it and every thing is working fine. But i wonder why did it happen?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:58 PM

Cracked software doesn't comply with the standards (usually) for a well-behaved program. As such, fixes for systems using "cracks" may not even work. One of the basic tenets of troubleshooting is to set the system as "normal" as possible (no tweaks, adjustments, custom stuff, etc) - with a crack this state is usually impossible to maintain - so troubleshooting may be futile.

It's also the reason that we don't work on cracked programs here - it's not only against the law in most places, against the forum rules, but it's also just too darned frustrating!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 usman3206

usman3206
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 05:27 AM

You people are right, it caused a lot of trouble for me, i had to format my operating system since last i installed it in 2003. It probably corrupted my windows registry. Any way lesson learned the harder way. Thanks for all help

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:42 AM

I've been working with computers for many years now. When I first started, I was dirt poor and couldn't afford decent hardware. So, I did "skirt the edge" of legality on more than one occasion.

But in the long run I've found that I value reliability more than I value "cheap" (and my income has risen) - so I stick with legit stuff and have much fewer problems than I did "back in the day".

BTW - I gave up overclocking also because of the stability issues.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

I agree with usasma! If you have legit stuff 99.9999% of your problems can be solved here on B/C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users