Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor/Video Card Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mirth

Mirth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:24 PM

My mother has a 800 MHz Gateway system. The original 17" monitor crapped out a couple of years ago and she got a replacement through Gateway. About a month ago the 2nd 17"monitor crapped out. Rather than buy a new monitor for a 4 year old system, I purchased a used 17" HP monitor from Purdue University. While shopping, I had loaned her the old 15" monitor from the 10 year old system my kids use and it worked fine. When I connected the HP monitor, anywhere the was text or an image, there appeared gray shadows (of various shades) from the image or line of text, all the way to the left and right edges of the screen. I reconnected the old 15" monitor and it seemed to work fine. Therefore, I assumed that the used HP monitor was bad.

I exchanged the 17" HP monitor for a used 17" Gateway monitor at Purdue and it does the same thing. I tried downloading new drivers from the Gateway site with no luck. I then reconnected the old 15" monitor and it now has the shadowing.

I brought the used 17" Gateway monitor home and connected it to my kids 10 year old machine and it works fine.

What do I do next? Is the video card bad? Is it just a driver problem? I know that the monitor that "crapped out" was bad. It would not even flicker. It was totally blank. However I don't know why. I do find it odd that the 15" monitor did work and now it has the shadows. Makes me think that maybe I have messed up the drivers or some settings. Regardless, I now believe that the 2 used monitors I have tried have been fine and it is a problem in the tower somewhere.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Once again, thank you in advance.

Mirth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:43 PM

OK...a few things. Definitely update the video driver and see if that helps. Also change the resolution in the display properties and see if a particular resolution fixes it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users