Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking Of Replacing My Firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

I am currently using Windows firewall. After reading some of the posts at this forum, I decided it's not all that safe. I was thinking of installing the free version of Zone Alarm.
I am running Windows XP-SP2.I have numerous virus detection programs in place that I run weekly.
After reading the into to firewalls here, I have a question about switching.
My mother has a laptop so I have a Linksys router connected to my modem+cpu.
Will downloading Zone Alarm Free affect mom's laptop in any way?
Another member here recently posted questions/problems with Zone Alarm, so now I'm hesitant to switch until I know what needs to be done. I am a beginner user.
Thank you for any + all feedback.
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:01 PM

Windows firewall is too weak to be taken seriously. You do need a two-way protection and all non-Windows firewalls do it.

In my opinion ZA is a great choice (easiest to setup and great protection), so long as you go for older version and not the currently distributed version 7. V7 is bloated with stuff you can't use, and causes problems with Outlook and possibly other problems. The version I'd suggest is 6.1 or 6.5. I prefer 6.1.

Considering you're both using Linksys router, you don't have to do any internet connection sharing, therefore it's simple. I had some minor problem with 6.5 free.

Please go here
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html
Besides downloading ZA free setup file, also download the manual, unfortunately I can't find the link, but it should be somewhere on the ZL site. Using the manual, get oriented what it's all about. When you install, read and answer questions, but usually taking defaults is simplest. If you have any connection problems, post back.

If you ever want to share documents with your Mom, just follow standard Windows instructions for setting up home network and for setting up specific folders to share. Otherwise you're totally independent and invisible to one another.

Edit - I still can't find the manual, but here's a link to zones setup
http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/sup...mp;lid=zasupp_o
And actually you don't even need it because ZA will detect the network (your router IP address and subnet) and during installation, or after, you can place it in the trusted zone if you need to go into the router for editing settings.

Edited by tos226, 27 May 2007 - 04:08 PM.

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:12 PM

Thanks so much for the reply tos226.
I'll try getting it all set up as soon as I've had some dinner.
Hope it doesn't take to long to download as I'll be without a firewall. I'm thinking that I'll have to disable Windows firewall before I add Zone Alarm,right?
houn1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:20 PM

Hi honu1,

Download ZoneAlarm then disable the Windows firewall.
Then proceed to install the ZoneZlarm firewall.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users