Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing File Wininit.ext

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmz6471

rmz6471

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

Hi,
I run windows ME. I received the following error. "Windows could not upgrade the file %1 form %2." I can not do a system restore or uninstall any program. I did locate a fix on the Microsoft website, but it didnt work and was told I need the ME startup disk. The came preloaded on my computer I dont have the ME startup disk.. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

Windows ME does not come with a startup disk. You're supposed to make one. Most people don't know that. You do have a floppy drive, right?

You should be able to download a boot disk here. Use the ME OEM.

One of the biggest problems with ME was that they attempted to pretend that DOS did not exist. There is no way to boot to a command prompt and perform file work as there was in Windows 98. Except, of course, the boot disk.

Once you've made the boot disk, the computer needs to be set to start from a floppy first. Most older computers are already set this way. So you would insert the floppy, start the computer, and wait until it boots

Once booted, it will only show a black screen with a DOS prompt, which looks like this:

A:\>

Once you've got to that point, you should follow the instructions here.

Note the second method, which shuts off your System Restore. That would also work. However, you will lose all restore points and essentially start from scratch.

#3 rmz6471

rmz6471
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 06:18 AM

Hi, I tried this. First when I open the control panel no icons are showing. It say at the bottom 33 items, but nothing appears on the screen. If I boot in safe mode, you can see all the icons. I tried to make a startup disk, but it doesnt recognize that the A: drive had as disk. I keep getting a message to insert a disk. Both in normal boot and safe mode. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2007 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like you're infected if you can see the icons in Safe Mode but not Regular Mode.

MIght want to post a Hijack log in our HijackThis! forum. Make sure to read this pinned post first.

Be patient - there are more problems than there are people to fix them, and do not reply to your own message as the team looks for posts without replies first.

As to a startup disk, can you make one on another computer somewhere? You can download one from here - get the one that's ME OEM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users