Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mp3 Or Wma Discs And Dmr


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

We just purchased a new car for my wife, and the stereo system has the ability to play MP3 or WMA discs. If I understand this technology correctly, these discs can hold as much as 10 times the music as a conventional CD. Therefore, we are quite interested in trying it. However, according to the new car's manual, any songs that have DRM on one of these types of discs will not play, and be skipped. We have quite a large collection of our favorites purchased from Wal-Mart music downloads, and I'm pretty sure that they all have a DRM.

I have done a small amount of research on the Internet, and I understand that these DRMs can be removed from songs, and that it is perfectly legal. However, I really don't know what my best method would be.

I would like to ask for advice on what the easiest, and most trouble-free method would be to remove these DRMs so that we can try to burn an MP3 or WMA disc. We have Sonic DigitalMedia Plus 7 (it came with the PC), and I believe that what we would want to do is create a "Jukebox CD". Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

    Bleeping Big Rig


  • BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Huddleston, VA USA (Home Sweet Home)
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

D(igital)R(Rights)M(anagement) Removal wasnt exactly legit last time I checked. The easiest way to make an MP3 cd is to "rip" your own CDs and then burn those files w/o DRM to a New Disc

Posted Image




#3 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the reply, BlackSpyder. I assure you that I am not trying to "pull" anything. I saw one program for sale that would remove DRMs from songs, and they claimed that it was perfectly legal. Their explanation left me with the impression that the sellers of the music may not like it, but there is nothing that they can do about it, either.

Please know that all we are trying to do is create CDs that my wife can enjoy in her new car. I already know that I can burn any songs I want to a standard CD, and they play. I fail to see what possible difference it makes whether I make 10 CDs with 10 songs each, or put the exact same 100 songs on the same CD.

I would understand fully if a moderator decided to lock this thread.

That being said, allow me to ask: We have a little over 3 GB of music stored on our PC. About 90% of them were copied from actual CDs, and have no DRMs. The remaining 10% were purchased from Wal-Mart, and have DRMs. Instead of using up that many CDs just for "temporary" storage, can I copy our entire collection to one DVD-RW, and then use this DVD to create MP3 CDs?

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:19 AM

Well, my wife was too excited to wait (I don't blame her!). Your method didn't quite exactly work, but almost. I ended up having to burn all of our songs with DRMs to CDs, and then re-rip these new CDs back onto our PC. We were then able to create "Jukebox" CDs using these newly created music files. I wonder if it could be done without having to "sacrifice" good blank CDs. Perhaps re-writable CDs? We didn't have any at the time, but perhaps we will try that. Thank you again for the advice.

Edited by rlprlp, 29 May 2007 - 07:20 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users