Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Addicted To Software Downloads

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:46 AM

Hi all

I have a few questions for solutions to various things, and for want of not knowing where to post them all, I decided to post them here. I suppose that they all generally fall under this topic anyway. If this is not the case, please direct me accordingly.

My questions might seem basic and obvious to many of you, but not to me!!!

So here goes.

1. I seem to have developed a bad habit of downloading alot of free software - and by "alot" I mean a ridiculous amount!!

For example: -

PC Security
Hard Drive & System Utilites
System Information
Utilities

and many more.

2. With the above in mind, is there a program that can organise the software / hardware, into the correct categories, such as System Utilities, Downloaded Software, Drivers, Desktop, etc. It often takes me ages to find a program which is so frustrating.

I found a program, (in Softpedia) but it is shareware, and I'm a Freeware kinda person:

Software Tracker
Software Tracker will help you catalog all your software programs with 18 different customizable fields including program Title, Category, Supplier, Revision Level, Support, Serial Number, Condition, Email, Location, Installation Date, Media, Warranty, Buy Price, Buy Date, Value, User, and a graphic field.

3. Note Programs: I have several : Evernote, Scrapbook, My Stuff (ask.com) Google Notebook. Cooliris Add to Stack !!
Which one do I keep ??

4. Due to my download addiction, I am in need of a "Duplicate Finder" program or similar.

5. File Assocation / Open with / Search web for appropriate file extension . As in, when a program is downloaded, there is a message that windows can't open the file because of unknown extension. You know what I mean. See below image!!

Posted Image

6. TaskBar and Notification Bar. Somehow the text decription above the icon flashes for less then a millisecond - why? The Notification Bar is very full, and some of the program icons are listed more than once. In option, setting them to "Always Hide" doesn't do the trick. Example: I have XP Power Toy Tooltips which shows you a thumbnail of the program. Instead of just one thumbnail showing, there are three of them. So, aside from the options of Hide when Inactive, Always Hide, or Show, is there a way to actually delete or remove some of these icons from the notification Bar ??

7. I use quite a few support forums (of which BC is by far the best..!!!! :trumpet: ) - Again, I often lose track of them. Is there a way or a program that can help to organise this.

8. Email. I use several different emails - Outlook, gmail, hotmail. Outlook is my default, and I have forwarded mail from gmail etc to Outlook. Problem: My inbox is overflowing, as I subscribe to newletters, updates, software reviews from C-Net, Softpedia etc etc. How do I send my gmail stuff to a seperate folder in Outlook, rather than everything going directly into my main Inbox??

Ok, so I will leave it there, because I'm sure that I could go on for ages !!

Please forgive all these questions in one post, and again, please redirect me if appropriate.

So as you may realize, my poor computer is bearing a huge weight, and is slugging along very slowly. So your help is desperately needed.

FYI: I do the following on a regular basis:

Ccleaner
Disk Cleanup
Defragment
AFT Cleaner
Regedit
Delete all browser, cache, cookies, temp int files

Run all anti Spy / Virus / Malware or whatever once a week.

The following image is to give you a visual on how crowded my system is, and possibly to make you laugh !!

Posted Image

Thanks all.

:thumbsup: :flowers:

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:03 AM

I have tons and tons of downloaded software on CD's and DVD's scattered all over my workspace. We've got the same problem at work too.

There's no automatic way to organize it - you'll have to store it in the correct place when you download it. FWIW - I store it on my Desktop (yes, it's not recommended). Then, when the Desktop gets too crowded, I move it to my "Downloads" folder - where it eventually gets put on CD/DVD and removed from my hard drive.

I've had more success with my browsing tho - I've got over 4,000 bookmarks that I use. I organize them into folders - but they've got very broad categories. I have a set of folders for my "Daily" visits which I leave open in my browser (Firefox). One link there is a link to my bookmarks file - so I've got an easily searchable list of my bookmarks right in front of me.

Which brings to mind the use of a Desktop search tool (like the Google Desktop Search) - but haven't tried that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

1. & 2.
You don't need software to organize your programs, in the Start Menu.
To reduce the size of your Start Menu, you could put all similar programs into individual folders.
There's a couple of places, where you can do this:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Start Menu\Programs

Once there, create some folders (Security, Image Editing, Audio, Video, etc.), and drag your programs into the appropriate folder.
You should be able to reduce your Start Menu, to one column.

If you prefer to use software, there's a program listed in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic, that might suit your needs:
Tidy Start Menu

Which ever program suits your needs.
Only you can decide that. :thumbsup:
Personally, I use KeyNote

I haven't used any of these, but here are a couple of, freeware duplicate file detectors, you might want to check out:
Anti-Twin
Duplicate File Finder
DupKiller
Duplicate Cleaner
Heatsoft Clone Cleaner Lite
CloneSpy

Not sure, what your asking.

That's the only questions, I can help you with.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 05:29 PM

I would go through the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs dialog and remove anything that you're not using. With download speeds being as fast as they are it's generally easier to download and install a program than it is to store it on your hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:13 PM

I would go through the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs dialog and remove anything that you're not using. With download speeds being as fast as they are it's generally easier to download and install a program than it is to store it on your hard drive.

Thanks Usama

I have added this image because I'm not sure if I am downloading and installing correctly. ??

Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:46 AM

What's the image of? It seems to be a dialog for a download manager that allows you to categorize and add ocmments to it.

#7 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 11:51 AM

What's the image of? It seems to be a dialog for a download manager that allows you to categorize and add ocmments to it.

It is the Internet Download Manager. What I normally do when downloading is to select "Save As" .

Is there a difference between downloading & install to saving on the hard drive?

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:40 PM

It is the Internet Download Manager. What I normally do when downloading is to select "Save As" .

Is there a difference between downloading & install to saving on the hard drive?

I believe the "download and install" option does exactly that - automatically starting up the install once you've downloaded the entire program.

Choosing the "save to HD" option allows you to install it manually after it is downloaded. I'd say this is preferable since it gives you the opportunity to shut down many background programs while running the install and/or logging on as a user with proper credentials to install the program. Sometimes you should be logged on as Administrator or equivalent when installing a program, for example.

nat -

are you running a Gateway?

That looks somewhat like their download manager.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

Hi nat.
I can totally relate to your dilemma. I too can't resist downloading anything which looks interesting or may be useful some time in the future. As soon as I download anything, I immediately rename it, otherwise I have a folder full of 'setup.exe' or similar and have no clue as to what it is.

The 'Tidy Start Menu' which tg1911 mentioned is excellent for categorising everything in your Start/All Programs list and does exactly as its name suggests.

EMAIL. I go the opposite way and have GMail import all my others. They still go into the Inbox, but it is very easy to mark them with a heading of your choice and then archive them. e.g. Every time I register with a site, or receive an activation code or similar, I mark it as a 'registration' and archive it. That way they are all together and available with 1 click. I particularly like the fact that this important info is stored away from my machine and therefore is not affected by a crash and can be accessed from any PC.

BTW. I think there are far worse addictions than this one. LOL

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

Hi nat.
I can totally relate to your dilemma. I too can't resist downloading anything which looks interesting or may be useful some time in the future. As soon as I download anything, I immediately rename it, otherwise I have a folder full of 'setup.exe' or similar and have no clue as to what it is.

The 'Tidy Start Menu' which tg1911 mentioned is excellent for categorising everything in your Start/All Programs list and does exactly as its name suggests.

EMAIL. I go the opposite way and have GMail import all my others. They still go into the Inbox, but it is very easy to mark them with a heading of your choice and then archive them. e.g. Every time I register with a site, or receive an activation code or similar, I mark it as a 'registration' and archive it. That way they are all together and available with 1 click. I particularly like the fact that this important info is stored away from my machine and therefore is not affected by a crash and can be accessed from any PC.

BTW. I think there are far worse addictions than this one. LOL

Hi rowal5555

Thanks for your info. Could you explain more about the below.

I mark it as a 'registration' and archive it. That way they are all together and available with 1 click. I particularly like the fact that this important info is stored away from my machine and therefore is not affected by a crash and can be accessed from any PC.

And also if you know about the Outlook question as outlook is my primary default.

Thanks alot
Nat

:thumbsup:

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:55 PM

Nat.

Afraid I cannot give you any info on Outlook Express as I never use it.

GMail: Above the entries on any page you will see 4 boxes.
Archive - which stores away any item you have opened, (or have put a tick beside, for multiple items).
Report Spam, and Delete. - Obvious

And then the 'more actions'. If you click on the down arrow you will get a dropdown menu which gives all the options for the item/s you have opened or ticked. At the bottom of the 'apply label' list is NEW LABEL. Click on that and you can type in any heading that means something to you. You will see that heading applied, then when you archive that item, it is stored away forever. You can access everything from the ALL MAIL link at the top left, or your specific heading from the LABELS box in the left pane, underneath the CONTACTS box.
Another handy feature is the ability to store anything at GMail in GMAIL DRIVE (GSPACE, in FireFox). I have literally 100s of emails and other items stored which I may get around to reading one day, LOL, and am still using only 1% of my 2.8GB+ storage.

Everyone has their favourite, but I just prefer GMail which also has 'Chat' and 'Talk'. Suits me.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

Hi there

That sounds like a great idea. However. as Outlook is my default email thingy, and is therefore set up to receive my main ISP email address ( as in .....@mweb.co.za), would I have to s\change my email address or change the Outlook settings, as in let's say, forwarding all mail from outlook directly to gmail and selecting no to keep a copy Outlook.

I already have a gmail account.

So, from what I understand, you are suggesting that I use Gmail as my primary default instead of Outlook.

If so, how do I set that up ???!!!

Could you expand more on what you said re below:

Another handy feature is the ability to store anything at GMail in GMAIL DRIVE (GSPACE, in FireFox). I have literally 100s of emails and other items stored which I may get around to reading one day, LOL, and am still using only 1% of my 2.8GB+ storage.

Could you suggest someone / forum etc that can help me get back my original Outlook data (contacts, Calender etc) as somehow I ,managed to delete everything whilst trying out Thunderbird which I didn't ;ile so switched back to Outlook, only to find that I had wiped all my stuff..

Thanks so much
:thumbsup:

#13 rowal5555

rowal5555

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:31 PM

Hi Nat.

As you are not getting much joy with your questions re Outlook Express, I suggest you make a new post in the EMAIL forum.

I'm not recommending that you change your default email to GMail as this is a personal choice, but if you want to do that, there are 2 ways. In GMail, go to Settings/Account and you should find an option there to import from other accounts. This didn't work totally for me, so I went to my other email accounts and found the option to forward all mail to GMail, and this worked fine. I find it much better to have all mail in one place. Saves a lot of time logging in to each one separately.

You can read about GMail Drive and GSpace here:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/GMai...load-15944.html
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1593.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users